NEW TANK 230 Gallon

ve6djj

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I have all the base rock I had in the tank now there is 180 lbs in there dosen't look like much in the big 32inch deep tank its only 25 high 73.5 inches long but the rock still looks small. I have 200 lbs of live rock to add so I hope it look a little fuller. off to bed now 3:30 to start at the airport 3 loads then off to red deer for the day only 30 or so stops ...... :mad: I also put my sail fin tang in the new tank he seems to love the room over the 35 gallon night all David

post-18-1109651368

:ph43r: Sorry haven't updated for a while to bizzy at werk hair pulling ....

So I have add some of my dwellers to start a good bacteria established.... so a week later and no problems . I think I'll wait a will to add my mushrooms and coral , still working on the hood so only temp lighting on tank. I hope to fix this on the weekend ..... ciao fer niao David

post-18-1110341420

Would you take some aquascaping advice? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you've worked the tank and rocks to their full advantage...

Here's my thoughts - and like Blkwolfe when I was suggesting different idears for his 150. Feel free to take what you like ignore what you don't. On the left side, create a cave like area. I'd work from about 2/3 front to back on the left side, creating a smallish overhang at least 1/2 the height of the tank, then coming out from the corner, bring a sloping wall to the front to roughly the 1/3-1/2 tank mark. Bring it up so it looks like it ends naturally near the front glass. Devils in the details here, Do use some smaller hunks to give that landslide kinda look. If you make the rock piles too neat - it looks artificial. Definitely make some caves / holes through the pile coming to the front of the tank

Do the left side right and you'll have some great high/low light areas, high and low flow areas, making for great places to house any number and many types of corals.

On the right, I have couple thoughts, one would be the standard corner wall, take it right to the top. Give it a concave look, not too bulky. What you've got now is way too 'thick'.

Alternatively though probably impractical... But I'd love to see it done, is a sharp 'spire' about 10" off the walls, centered front to back. Finding the right rock to do it, and making it stable, would be almost impossible. I've seen it done in some smaller nanos (10-20g) and the effect is awesome - not much room for corals though.

Lastly, and my preference, would be to build another rockwall, starting at the tank top, with a good 8-10" sand space between this and the other. Breaking just like the one coming off the left - follow the angle, but have it slope down quicker.

Have another idear, but I need time to work it out on paper or maybe in legos if I can find some... Closer layout to what you have,already started, but I'm having a hard time picturing the visual front on - making it look right could be real tricky.

Andy

I also started the narrow wall on the right side but I need more rock .... and here is a closer look at the left side the bridge at the coral hanging down was hard to do but I'm starting to like it some touch ups are needed .... David

post-18-1110604604

• 2 weeks later...

This picture was without light Albert hope this gives a better look at the coraline is growing well..... to sick to do much right now so just watching the amonia go down to 0 maybe in a couple of days now ..... ciao David

post-18-1111783077

Edited by ve6djj

• 2 months later...