Im looking for advice on shrimp tanks

edmontondave

Well I love shrimp! My shrimp tank is defintely one of my favorites.

Picking tankmates for your shrimp can be difficult. Anything big enough to try and eat it,probably will eat them. If you go with the larger amano shrimp it will be easier to find tankmates then the smaller cherry sized shrimp.

Do yo uknow what kind of shrimp you want? What kind of tank will you put them into? Planted?

All shrimp that I've kept do well in planted tanks. Cherry shrimp are by far the most colorful; however, they also make a nice snack for quite a few fish. Amano shrimp get quite large - 2" or more - but aren't overly colorful, unless fed special food. Zebra shrimp are much like cherry shrimp, with a different color and somewhat different behavior - I find them to be a little more active and... comical for lack of a better word.

These 3 shrimp will eat just about anything. CS and ZS are classified as detritivores - they'll eat anything - while Amano's are a true algae-eating shrimp.

HTH

i dont know if i want to set up a planted tank i was thinking of just a few decorative rocks and a sand bottom (so you can see them better) , but i dont know anything about shrimp thats why i looking for advice. I was amazed at a shrimp i saw recently ( flower shrimp ) at a local pet store and that got me thinking of setting up a new tank. so any and all advice is great, this way i will know if i should set one up.

If you can get a dark substrate, the shrimp will stand out more. I had CS in a tank w. Play Sand, and the males were hard to see. I now have them in a tank with dark substrate - I can see the males well, and the females are gorgeous!

They're in a tank with a few shells a larger rock and a sponge filter... and duckweed to help keep excess nutrients down.