advice on moving 120g planted tank

Kwirky

I'm moving my 120g planted aquarium next week (finally moved out of my parent's), and I don't really know exactly how to plan it. I was planning to remove most of the plants, and storing them in a rubbermaid bin for the move. Then I'd remove the fish, and take them to the new place and keep them in a 33g and a 20g tank I have. I'd have to move the flourite, probably in buckets.

The tank has to go up about 10 stairs, around a 90 degree corner, up another three, through the living room, and onto the truck.

The tank's plumbed, but I believe I can remove the return plumbing by just unscrewing the gasket. The intake plumbing will have to be cut then reglued.

does this sound sane? I know it's going to be a BIG job, and I suspect there will only be 3 of us (including my girlfriend) to do it. We'll have a dolly, thankfully, and a truck with a rubber lined back.

It has me quite worried though

how long can the plants last in a rubbermaid bin filled with water without light? it can have a heater if needed. I'll need aprox 12-24 hours for the redone plumbing to cure before I can fill the tank with water again, and that's hoping the tank doesn't spring any leaks from the move.

The plants will be fine, but if you ask me if you're just moving out and don't have alot of money a tank may cost alot when it comes to power, water ect. so just leave it at your parents house until you have lots of money. :P lol

If you do use a dolly, it'll be on it's end , use a piece of wood the size of the end to support it, you'll be very upset if the edge of that metal dolly pushes up through the glass. I have a UHAUL appliance dolly I could lend out for a couple days.

OOps just noticed you're in Calgary, it may be inconvenient to come use my dolly lol, sorry.

Edited by Qattarra

Sounds like a disaster... you should just bring it all over to my house. I've been wanting a tank that size. :smokey:

The plants will be fine. You can also wrap them in newspaper, dampen it, and store them in plastic bags for several days in a cool location (even in the fridge). They're very resilient. Rubbermaid Tubs work well for temporary fish tanks too- just watch that the heater doesn't melt any holes.

I'm sure if there was sufficient beer and pizza at your new place you could convince a few of the stronger AA members to volunteer as tank movers.

I just move to calgary and relied on the help of strainergers to get my tank in... but it wasn't that big or hard... I may be able to help (no beer needed cause I have my own and I'll bring you one cause I know how it is to move)... PM if you need help

IMO, the plumbing will be the hardest part, and the Flourite will seem like the heaviest. The plants will be fine, as Werner pointed out. A 120 should be easy enough to move for 2 average-size people (my brother and I moved a 135 by ourselves - I'm 5'8" and he's 135lbs... :P).

ok thanks for the advice everyone...

4 of us moved it using my girlfriend's truck. There wasn't anything major. It was a pain to move because it had to be tipped on end to get around corners at the stairs at both places, and the plumbing had to be left in place.

It made it to the new place without much trouble though.

As for the plants, they're all a rat's nest in a 20g aquarium with a pump and heater. I'm NOT looking forward to detangling them lol.

I moved the flourite in a half full rubbermaid bin (probably 15 gallons worth), and three 5 gallon pails.

It was funny making so many trips for stuff that technically was all within the one tank. It's all consumed about half the basement in space until everything's set up, then it'll be back to the 8 square feet like it was previously :D