Red Empress Babies!!!

Pier Pressure

Hi, guys.

Some of you may know that I have been looking for female Red Empresses for a while now because I have only one male and one female and I had heard the male would harass the female to death or make her spit prematurely. While I am looking for the females, I added some mid-size peacock females to try to take the stress off the Red Empress female.

Now I am happy to report it worked! Rod stripped the female today and got 12 - 15 red empress babies. My new prized possession.

I cannot wait to get home and check them out! :smokey: :smokey: :smokey:

Karen

Thanks. Baby fish are so much fun!

And the good news is - I can get my red empress females out of this first batch of fry. Nothing wrong with line breeding them because they are not wild caught or F1 or anything like that. My male is gorgeous and I cannot wait to continue the line.

Did all the clocks stop around here, or what? I cannot wait to see them!

Great going waiting for pics.

Thanks, everyone. They are sure a lot smaller than I thought they would be. They are no bigger than yellow labs.

No this is definitely not my first batch of fry. I have a colony of F1 electric yellows that is constantly breeding and we usually do not have too much trouble finding homes for the F2's. I have a 33 gallon fry tank that is full of electric yellows!

The reason this is so MAJORLY exciting is that we have been trying to get babies from this pair for over a year now. She would be holding and he would harass her until she spit them out and went back to breeding. Now he chases the peacocks around while she hides with her mouthful. Once I have a couple more females for the 150 gallon, I shall lose the peacock females.

I am thinking that - though hybrids - if a blue peacock female does manage to breed with the red empress male - I am definitely going to keep them around and see what they look like when they grow up.

We are to the stage now where we have figured out how to put pictures onto our Apple computer. Now I just need to take some shots of my tanks and get them up. I heard photobucket is the easiest way to do that. I have the babies in a breeder net at the front of the 33 gallon so getting a shot should not be a big deal. Maybe I will have some time this weekend.

Thanks for all the good wishes! I will post pictures when I can!

Karen