A n00b says hi

Finbert

Hi!

I just sort of randomly stumbled across this forum as I was researching what to put into my first-in-a-long-time community tank. Y'all have already been super-helpful to me without even trying :-)

My fishkeeping history: A friend gave me a Betta for Christmas way back when I was in high school, and by the time I graduated I had a couple 20gal tanks that were kindof hit and miss/trial and error things. When I went to university, I didn't have time for the fish so I gave them away, and then a few years later I gave away all my equipment too.

A couple years ago, they changed the layout of my office so I was way down the hall, so I got myself another Betta to live on my desk and keep me company. He was very good company, but then people started coming over all the time to visit him, so I eventually moved him out to the reception desk so I could have some peace and quiet. He finally died a couple weeks ago, and the whole office was heartbroken. After a few days with no fish, people started talking about how much they missed having a fish and shouldn't we get another one and what if we took up a collection and set up a whole actual aquarium instead of just a betta bowl.

I just happened to have picked up a 10gal with working heater and filter/pump at a garage sale (for $15!!!), so I volunteered to lead the fish committee. People are all saying how nice it is that I'm willing to put so much work into this, but what I guess they don't realize is that they're financing my addiction.

My first live-thing buying trip to the LFS will be this weekend. I'm planning to start with a bunch of plants and a Betta (everybody insisted on having another one), and then once the friendly bacteria are established I want to add some Kuhli loaches and a small school of something small - neon tetras or dwarf rasboras, not sure yet. (and of course not all at once)

And a question for Edmontonians if you don't mind: I'm reading that most of the plants I'm interested in like a fine gravel. And that most fish prefer a dark gravel. I've been all over the place, and can't seem to find small-grain dark gravel anywhere. I can find it in white, or various fluorescent colours, but no dark brown or black. Where is it hiding?

Thanks!

:welcome: to the forum, have you tried Burnco for sand?

:welcome:

It's always nice to have a tank, with fish in the office... when things get too stressful and you just can't look at another chart/formatting/problemsolving/annoying client on the phone... its nice to be pulled away to a calm friend swimming around looking for his/her next lunch!

Hello and Welcome.

Since you have only a 10 gallon tank you should only need single bag of sand/gravel. At Big Al's, you can find a product called Tahitian Moon black Sand if you are specifically looking for a pitch black look (it's fairly expensive but looks nice). PJ Pets carries a black sand material by GeoSystems that is not quite as dark but somewhat less expensive. You can find a painted black gravel also at PJ's as well as a rainbow of unappealing colours. I think the kuhli loaches would prefer sand over gravel as they like to burrow to hide. Once they get comfortable they will begin to show themselves but you won't see them much at first until feeding time.

Have you tried Natures Corner Store?

I'am perdy sure Henry will have something for you there.

That's actually the first place I went - maybe when he gets his new shipment next week he'll have some, but when I was in last week he didn't and he said he was having trouble finding it. He had the standard big size gravel, and sand, but none of the 2-3mm stuff.

I saw the sand at Big Al's (really liked the look of it) and I'm sure the Kuhlis would like it, but would the plants? Or am I just making this too complicated? Thanks for the suggestion!

Welcome to AlbertaAquatica. Big Als carries some Black Sand if you wanted to try that:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl366...chemonyxsand7kg

Hope This Helps

Taylor

:welcome:

It's always nice to have a tank, with fish in the office... when things get too stressful and you just can't look at another chart/formatting/problemsolving/annoying client on the phone... its nice to be pulled away to a calm friend swimming around looking for his/her next lunch!

You would not believe how the stress level went up here after our Betta died! Actually you probably would :-)

Hello and Welcome.

Since you have only a 10 gallon tank you should only need single bag of sand/gravel. At Big Al's, you can find a product called Tahitian Moon black Sand if you are specifically looking for a pitch black look (it's fairly expensive but looks nice). PJ Pets carries a black sand material by GeoSystems that is not quite as dark but somewhat less expensive. You can find a painted black gravel also at PJ's as well as a rainbow of unappealing colours. I think the kuhli loaches would prefer sand over gravel as they like to burrow to hide. Once they get comfortable they will begin to show themselves but you won't see them much at first until feeding time.

I saw the GeoSystems sand too - is it any good? The package says it can affect water chemistry (unlike the painted gravels) but it didn't say which direction. (staff diddn't know either) And the last thing we want around here is to make the water harder/more alkaline! I guess really it's just one bag, so I may as well pick it up, stick it in water, and test it.

In case I forgot to say, thank you everybody for the welcome and advice!