My 20 gallon cracked

super fish

I lovely thing happened the yesterday (at noon). My 21 gallon geo system crack on the bottom and it was like a water fall off of the stand. About 5 gallons ended up on the floor (I got a hose out the window into my tank right away so the rest was outside.

It has been a day and is still damp and smells funny. I put a fan on it but still smells. think its mold? Can it form this fast? And is there a way to get ri of it if dont wanna rip up carpet?

Edited by super fish

Rug Doctor is steaming mad at dirt. :)

What a pain. We've had the misfortune of having water come in through our window wells and run into the basement and there is a dank musty smell that materializes really fast.

With excess water, I always try and take my carpet shampooer (or shop vac) and suck up as much of the water as possible. Then I use fans (I borrow extras) to air the area. When that is dry, then I give the whole area a good cleaning. It's a lot of pain in the butt work, but the smell has never stayed.

I don't think it's mold yet and you're doing the right things.

Try an pull up a little carpet if at all possible because you will need to air out the carpet cushion as well. The carpet cushion will actually hold more of the water than the carpet. Fans work well but it still may take some time to get rid of the smell.

Good Luck!