More new fish

patrick

First is a juvenile Paralabidochromis chromogynos, endangered species from Lake Victoria.

gallery_1979_105_70680.jpg

This is a Lipochromis sp. "Matumbi Hunter". These guys are also endangered and got their nickname "hunter" because they hunt in pack like wolves. They stalk female mouthbrooders of other species and forces her to spit the fry. Apparently you need a group of about 15 inviduals to see this behaviour. They sure have big mouths.

gallery_1979_105_77315.jpg

Here is a picture of 2 out of the 4 Altolamprologus compressiceps that I picked up at Aquarium Enthusiast's 2 for 1 sale. Good size and very good looking.

gallery_1979_105_24826.jpg

Cool Vic's. I was thinking about getting both species from Spencer; the Matumbi hunters look a lot like my juvenile Rhamphochromis.

Yeah I think I pretty much bought all his vic's lol.

The chromos are pretty straight forward behavior wise but the hunters are quite different. I have noticed a couple of odd things. When one of the chromos gets a little aggressive towards one of the smaller hunters, other hunters actually join in to help the smaller one. I have not seen this in any other species before, eccept when breeding. Sometimes the hunters stalk the chromos. They behave almost like dogs herding sheep, placing themself in front, moving forth and back trying to manipulate the other fish, but they do it without showing any aggression. It's hard to explain without seeing it. I wonder if they do this to check out if it's a holding female? It will be very interesting to study them once they are moved to a bigger tank.

Edited by patrick

i got some of those F1 comps about a month ago and they look awesome, how big are yours?

Edited by geoff