Steel stands

Rainmaker69

I am contemplating building a double rack to house my 55 g and a 30 g. I would like the 55 (36X18) to sit on top and the 30 to be on the bottom. I want to weld this out of steel and am wondering about material size. One welder I talked to recommended 2X2X1/8 square tubing, another suggested 1X2X1/8 which I feel would be to light. Would 1X2X3/16 be suitable as I feel that the 2X2 would look to bulky, and expensive.

With the current price and quality of wood...

Totem / costco sell a brand of racks called "Gorilla Racks" - look for the 48x18 size the 6' tall units are under 100$ They also make a 4-5' tall model. Each shelf is rated to 750 lbs with the supplied pressboard (replace it with 3/4" ply - and I believe one of the engineers said it was good to 1000lbs); they also sell big comercial units for a little bit more - that are good to 1500lbs per shelf.

Andy

1 1/4" x 1/8" thick square tubing would do fine. It will strong enough for what you have in mind. Not very expensive. It is the labour [ if you have to pay] that costs.

AND a very good idea; have adjusters installed. I use 1/2" n/c all-thread. Have them weld a nut to the bottom of the legs, cut 4 pieces - 6" long 1/2" all thread, weld a big 2" flat washer/nut for the foot. Add another 1/2" nut to lock everything tight.

Place hockey pucks under the foot [ washer].

This will allow you to perfectly level the tank/stand. MPE.

HTH

Smokey

B)

.125 wall is serious overkill for a stand that only houses a 55 gal and a 30 gal, it'll end up being heavy as sin. Given todays steel prices it's really not that cheap either.

I think you'd be better off building a wooden stand. Easy to construct in an afternoon and probably half the cost.

Thanks Smokey, I will be welding it myself so labor is $0.10 an hour. I just wasn't sure of the structral capacities. For the levelers, I was planing on using 1/2" X 4" carriage bolts with 3/4" flat washers welded to the heads then I can use the shoulder of the bolt to adjust.

Froggie, I have 3 double wooden stands already, rough cut 2X6 with 2X2"anle iron braces and carriage bolted together. Just the frames but someday I will get around to finishing them. Lumber and iron was free from work. I want an iron stand mainly to see if I can do it right. Other than that, you are right, wood is cheaper and easier to work with.

• 1 month later...