Nee Soon Swamp Biotope

Slough Shark

Yep, another Biotope happening now. This is the first exact biotope I will be doing. I got all of the details from someone who has been there and documented many of the fishes, plants and the debris and decorations found in the swamp.

The Nee Soon Swamp is located in Singapore and is home to some of my favorite fish! Initially, I wanted to have my Betta pugnax as the centerpiece fish, with a group of Harlequin Rasboras and some (Spotted) Kuhli Loaches. Since my B. pugnax has died, I needed to think up another plan because I was quite dead set on doing this Biotope. I figured since I already have a Leaf Fish, why not plop him in there with the Loaches that I already was planning on adding.

Here is the plan:

Nee Soon Swamp (Singapore) Biotope (20 gal):

Stocking:

1 Nandus nebulosus

4 Pangio shelfordii (Borneo Loach, Spotted Kuhli Loach)

Plants:

Native Plants (still waiting on confirmation of which kind)

Substrate:

Light brown Aquarium Sand

Detritus and Peat

Decoration:

Driftwood

Lighting:

24” CoralifeT-5 Fluorescent Bulb ($17)

Filtration:

Sponge Filter

CO2 Injection

And here are pics:

455_5531.jpg

plannned.jpg

The Green is for plants (hopefully Vallisneria because they are so easy to find conpared to others), brown for bogwood, and the grey is for the sponge filter to be covered by the plants (along with the heater).

Going to be good I think, this is the best plan I've had yet!

Taylor

Yep, another Biotope happening now. This is the first exact biotope I will be doing. I got all of the details from someone who has been there and documented many of the fishes, plants and the debris and decorations found in the swamp.

The Nee Soon Swamp is located in Singapore and is home to some of my favorite fish! Initially, I wanted to have my Betta pugnax as the centerpiece fish, with a group of Harlequin Rasboras and some (Spotted) Kuhli Loaches. Since my B. pugnax has died, I needed to think up another plan because I was quite dead set on doing this Biotope. I figured since I already have a Leaf Fish, why not plop him in there with the Loaches that I already was planning on adding.

Here is the plan:

Nee Soon Swamp (Singapore) Biotope (20 gal):

Stocking:

1 Nandus nebulosus

4 Pangio shelfordii (Borneo Loach, Spotted Kuhli Loach)

Plants:

Native Plants (still waiting on confirmation of which kind)

Substrate:

Light brown Aquarium Sand

Detritus and Peat

Decoration:

Driftwood

Lighting:

24” CoralifeT-5 Fluorescent Bulb ($17)

Filtration:

Sponge Filter

CO2 Injection

And here are pics:

455_5531.jpg

plannned.jpg

The Green is for plants (hopefully Vallisneria because they are so easy to find conpared to others), brown for bogwood, and the grey is for the sponge filter to be covered by the plants (along with the heater).

Going to be good I think, this is the best plan I've had yet!

Taylor

Sorry to hear the pug has past on, I think you doing this biotype swamp idea is great... :) good luck!!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, looks like I cannot possible make this an exact area Biotope. I will now call it a Malay Peninsula Swamp Biotope, because as my Chinese contact simply put it, fish move around in their home waters. Which I should have known myself as fish here do the same.

So unless I find some fish or plant species native to that general area, I will leave the name at Malay Peninsula Swamp Biotope. The plan now is for a jumble of driftwood and some peat/dried leaves, I will post pics when the tank is back on the shelf (had to fix the background).