Filter material for bio wheels

corrosionjerry

I was reading an article on the web several days back that explained how to take off the material from a Penquin Bio wheel filter... they didnt want the charcoal and the cost of the replacement filters ... so from what I remeber of the article it said that you can buy ployester fibre material at wallmart for dirt cheap and cut it into the shape of the filter frame and then use rubber bands to hold it around the frame... each time he would change out the filter he would replace the filter material and the elastic bands!

I couldnt find the web site again unfortunetly.... has anyone tried this? I am planning on giving this a whirl... just making sure that it was polyester fibre material,,, can anyone confirm this! The article said it is exactly the same material that the bio wheel manufactueres use to make their filters...

Are you talking about replacing the bio wheel cartridge each time you clean the filter? Or the media inside the filter?

If you are talking about the media inside the filter I just switched out my filter pad for a wad of floss)quilt batting from the sewing store) and then I went to a AC sponge as they are easier to deal with.

I pick up the big bag of "batting" at walmart , like 5 bucks or less. For charcoal , I bought those media nets bags and replace the charcoal inside, reuse the bag. I also use a sponge as the initial poop collector in front of the charcoal , behind the batting. I rinse the sponge , replace the charcoal and first couple cleanings -rinse the batting then replace it. This is common to all my HOB filters.

I modified the filter cartridges in my Aqua-Tech 30-60 (a Penguin 330 minus the bio-wheels) using these instructions: D.I.Y. Reusable Filter for Biowheel 200 and 350. Works like a charm and saves money too. Not quite as much media surface as an AC70 but then again I got this filter for free and only paid $8.99 for a pack of re-usable foam sleeves.