My new 10g with lots of plants

Finbert

Glad y'all like it!

The driftwood is real, not resin. It seems to improve the water quality a bit (softer and less alkaline).

Do I ever have plans! The only current occupant is a betta, ignominiously named Bubbles by my co-workers (oh the horrors of democracy, lol). I'm planning on:

- a tallish, dramatic plant in the back right (suggestions, anybody?)

- some shrimp

- a few kuhli loaches

- a shoal of rasboras, probably glowlights. Or maybe tetras.

- maybe some kind of glass-sucking/algae-eating critter, if there are any that stay small enough for a 10g and don't also like to eat plants and supplement their diet by sucking on fish - I haven't researched this yet, but I learned my lesson about pl*cos a long time ago

For the tall plant I would go with some Vallisneria. It goes all the way to the top and then it's blades start to float on the surface as it grows more, it looks very nice IMO.

For fish, I think that a pair of Otocinclus or a Bristle-nose Pleco would do that algae justice. Plus, Otos are really cute!

You're both right, smaller plecos might be the way to go - although the otos are cute too.

I like the idea of valisneria, but I'm told it needs more than the 2Watt/gal I currently have for lighting. Is that true?

Unless you can find some sort of dwarf val I think that you will find it is too big for a 10g tank. And yues it will be fine in a medium to low light aquarium. I have it growing in my 75g tank with a single 48" light.

Dwarf val is great in a smaller tank. Below is a pic of my 10G with some on the left side under 27W of PC lighting:

DSCN3284.jpg

I got it from a member on BCAquaria.com by the name of Mykiss. He is a great guy to deal with and is an experienced shipper also. Just in case you were looking for some...

Thanks for the plant suggestions! At this point, I think I'll just keep my eyes open and if something strikes my fancy I'll put it in.

Edited by Finbert