Thermometer

Slough Shark

My thermometer just broke and i am wondering if the little black pellets inside of it are harmful to my aquarium? Obviously this is some sort of weight for the thermometer, not the mercury, here is a pic of the same thermometer to show you what I mean:

Thermometer.jpg

Are these black balls safe to leave in? It is darn near impossible to remove all of them.

I have one of those as well and I'm not too impressed. The suction cup that came with it got hard as plastic in a couple of months and it's not accurate either, it shows about 2 degrees celcius too much. I'm using the small coralife digital ones that cost $14-$15. They work really good.

I have a half dozen and they all read about the same. most of the suction cups are gone. They are still more accurate than the stick on ones which are affected by room temperature. As for digital, temperatures for fish vary in nature so I don't find it a necessity to pinpoint the temp to a tenth or one hundredth of a degree.

I have a half dozen and they all read about the same. most of the suction cups are gone. They are still more accurate than the stick on ones which are affected by room temperature. As for digital, temperatures for fish vary in nature so I don't find it a necessity to pinpoint the temp to a tenth or one hundredth of a degree.

Mine could have been made on a Monday, two degrees off is a little bit too much for my liking. I do prefer them before the stick on ones, and I still use it since I know to subtract 2 from the reading. It's practical to move around to compare i ex temp in a bag/bucket and the tank. But since I started with digital I don't think I'll go back. Just plopp the sensor in the water and it's so easy to read. The glass ones always turns in the wrong direction so I can't read it...