225 gal setup for freshwater

cowboy

i am about to start a 225 gal freshwater setup with a sump and was wondering if anyone had any input or ideas on how to make this work better then i have planned

my ideas are

tank comes with an overflow

1- aquaclear 110 500 gph

1- marineland 280 bio wheel- 280 gph

1- rena xp3 canister 350 gph

atleast the cannister and one of the hob filters (maybe)

30 gallon sump with bio filters and rings

and a powerhead that i think i will make myself to act as a slow soft river current for my cichlids and arrowana

please comment on anything you do and DO NOT like about this setup as this is by far my biggest tank and will be my biggest challenge when it comes to fish tank setups

Hey cowboy,

I saw your tank today....very nice. I actually just bought a 225 myself. The lack of bracing on yours would concern me though.

Anyway, I am going to use an 80 gallon sump with dual overflows and an FX5 or Eheim 2260.

If you insist on HOB I would scrap the Penguin and stick with AC110's. The bio-wheel really won't contribute much. Also, rather than Rena, I would consider an Eheim or FX5 canister like sharuq1 has suggested.

For powerheads, I think an AC802 would be about the right size.

Good luck with the tank. Keep us posted. B)

Hey cowboy,

I saw your tank today....very nice. I actually just bought a 225 myself. The lack of bracing on yours would concern me though.

Anyway, I am going to use an 80 gallon sump with dual overflows and an FX5 or Eheim 2260.

If you insist on HOB I would scrap the Penguin and stick with AC110's. The bio-wheel really won't contribute much. Also, rather than Rena, I would consider an Eheim or FX5 canister like sharuq1 has suggested.

For powerheads, I think an AC802 would be about the right size.

Good luck with the tank. Keep us posted. B)

i only got a 78 gal going right now. getting tank on sunday. i am guessing that it will take me about 2-3 months to get it going. might try fishless cycle to get it setup instead of mixing my 78 gal water in tank but havn't decided yet but i do plan on moving my sponge filters and biowheel for the first couple weeks till i know that it is for surely setup right biologically. but the reasoning behind this thread is that i want a tank that i dont need to do as much maintence on it. i will be doing a picture by picture post of everything that i do to get this up and running. including all the tim hortons coffee and the beer consumed :beer: :drunk: -roll-

I would scrap the bio-wheel and the Rena myself. Just sell them and you can buy AC 110's at PJ's pets right now for 59.99 I believe until Oct 4th.

With a 30g sump I would run 2-3 AC 110's but thats just me cause I love the ease of Aquaclear filters.

If you want a cannister, I would go with a Eheim or FX5 like already mentioned and run 1 AC 110 with it. I agree with Doc on the powerhead. Also make sure you have some quality heaters to go with it, I personally like the Ebo jagers but there are other great quality heaters on the market as well.

Keep us posted on your progress, I wish i was setting up a tank like yours.

Allan

Edited by Fishy

I m running a 200gal with 2 fx5's and 2 seio power heads for my aro and cichlids all i wish i could add is 2 110 AC. They are awsome and easy to clean but my euro bracing keeps me from adding them.

i am about to start a 225 gal freshwater setup with a sump and was wondering if anyone had any input or ideas on how to make this work better then i have planned

my ideas are

tank comes with an overflow

1- aquaclear 110 500 gph

1- marineland 280 bio wheel- 280 gph

1- rena xp3 canister 350 gph

atleast the cannister and one of the hob filters (maybe)

30 gallon sump with bio filters and rings

and a powerhead that i think i will make myself to act as a slow soft river current for my cichlids and arrowana

please comment on anything you do and DO NOT like about this setup as this is by far my biggest tank and will be my biggest challenge when it comes to fish tank setups

We had talked and you mentioned you had a bottom feeder that tore up your plants. Why not set your 30g as a refugium. Natural plants are an excellent avenue for nutrient export. My opinion is if your going HOB then get another ac 110 and carbon your rena. Your pump up would only need to be 10x the sump per hour so 300gph. A small koralia would work for flow.

Kevin

We had talked and you mentioned you had a bottom feeder that tore up your plants. Why not set your 30g as a refugium. Natural plants are an excellent avenue for nutrient export. My opinion is if your going HOB then get another ac 110 and carbon your rena. Your pump up would only need to be 10x the sump per hour so 300gph. A small koralia would work for flow.

Just out of curiousty, why would you use carbon at all?

In my humble opinion a 30 FW refugium would only put a dent in the huge bio-load that the big fish going in this tank will produce. I am also not a big fan of HOB filters as I feel their polishing capabilities are lacking hence 350gph of carbon. I would negate the HOB's and the rena for 2x fx5's though. My experience with the Fluval FX5's have been very positive. Hope this helped

Kevin

In my humble opinion a 30 FW refugium would only put a dent in the huge bio-load that the big fish going in this tank will produce. I am also not a big fan of HOB filters as I feel their polishing capabilities are lacking hence 350gph of carbon. I would negate the HOB's and the rena for 2x fx5's though. My experience with the Fluval FX5's have been very positive. Hope this helped

Kevin

I agree with you on a good quality cannister, I do however love AC's and yes they can be great polisher's as well with the right media (floss). I feel a good quality cannister like the FX5 and a AC110 would make a great combo for filtration. Either way I guess it all comes down to what the user wants.

However I wouldn't use carbon at all and have never used carbon in any of my filters unless you wanted to take medications out of the water, which a water change can do much better in my opinion.

Allan