Rock shrimp

Sam Chicklets

Anyone seen these before? Any info on them would be great.

I will try to post pics later.

LOL! I tried to search information on them and all I got was recipes! It's especially funny as my husband was making jokes about them being big enough to eat when we were in the store looking at them.

I did find this on this website.

Rock shrimp, Atyopsis spp.

Rock, or Mountain, shrimps are mainly imported from Singapore, and are often large (up to 8cm/3") and quite colourful. They are normally browny-red with a pale stripe running along the back. However, more than one species appears to be imported under this name, including Atyopsis moluccensis.

These shrimps are filter-feeders and have special fan-like appendages for extracting micro-organisms from the water. They are interesting to watch and quite active in the tank. Unlike Caridina japonica, the Rock shrimps are found in warmer water.

Also this link: http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/r90001.htm

Edited by Terrie Lee

Thanx guys I kind of gave up after reading about 50 recipes, and looking plates of shrimp.

I now have 6 of these guys in a tank all there own, Very fine gravel, lots of rocks and live plants. They love it.

You went back for more?

I did. I was going to clean Henry out of the 7 he had left, But I thought I would be a nice guy and leave 3 for you or anyone else that might want some. From what I have read on them they are very easy to keep, easy to breed, and will accept most foods. Frozen daphnia, flakes, algae wafers, I have even seen mine dining on escargot. So they are a small snail killer as well.

From what I have read on them they are very easy to keep, easy to breed,

Easy to keep, not easy to breed, as they require semi-marine conditions for larvae hatching and growth.

and will accept most foods. Frozen daphnia, flakes, algae wafers, I have even seen mine dining on escargot. So they are a small snail killer as well.

That is a first..they are basically filter-feeders and I cannot imagine them doing much more than brushing algae wafers or snails with their 'fans' to remove surface particles.

I've been doing some research and so far only found 1 page refering to salt. http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/bamboo_shrimp.shtml . They said it is believed they require salt for breeding but gave no other info. Christian do you have other sources I could read up on this? I found one page that called it "Asian filter shrimp". The picture was bang on for the look of this shrimp with th white striations down it's body on a tan background colour. http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html

Edited by Qattarra