Skim of ?? on top of water

vanbeaker

50 gal African Cichlid tank, ph 8.2, temp 79 deg F. Setup is about 3-4 weeks old, cycling nicely. However, I have a murky-like, skim of something on the surface of the water. The return from the fluval is about 2" below surface, therfore little agitation is there. Is this an issue, or major concern?

What can I do to remove this skim of ???, and/or prevent this from happening.

The return from the fluval is about 2" below surface, therfore little agitation is there. Is this an issue, or major concern?

Surface agitation is good for oxygenating the water, and gas exchange. I would try to get movement on the surface.

Protein build up. I used to use my Python to remove it (hold the Python upside down under the water, so the opening breaks the surface at a 45 degree angle... water change tomorrow so I'll see if I can't get a usable picture of what I mean) but a $17 option from either Aquaclear or Fluval available at many fine retailers in your area will fix this, as well. Basically just goes on in place of the suction end of the canister filter, part of it submerged and part of it floats on top and skims the surface of nasty bits. SO worth it.

Link: http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquati...=01002400010101

Protein build up. I used to use my Python to remove it (hold the Python upside down under the water, so the opening breaks the surface at a 45 degree angle... water change tomorrow so I'll see if I can't get a usable picture of what I mean) but a $17 option from either Aquaclear or Fluval available at many fine retailers in your area will fix this, as well. Basically just goes on in place of the suction end of the canister filter, part of it submerged and part of it floats on top and skims the surface of nasty bits. SO worth it.

Link: http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquati...=01002400010101

I definately think I will give that a try... $17 fix.. perfect for the budget!!!

I agree with Nick. Try to get more movement on the surface. The thin film on the surface reduces gas exchange and oxygenation of the water.

In gaining more surface agitation, I was thinking of adding a powerhead, and putting it near the surface In doing that what size should I get? (3-4x the total volume sound right ie: 180gph movement)

I agree with Nick. Try to get more movement on the surface. The thin film on the surface reduces gas exchange and oxygenation of the water.

In gaining more surface agitation, I was thinking of adding a powerhead, and putting it near the surface In doing that what size should I get? (3-4x the total volume sound right ie: 180gph movement)

African cichlids like a lot of water movement. I added a Hydor Koralia 2 (600 g/hour) to my 90 gallon, to complement the flow from the Rena XP3. It keeps 2/3 of the surface crystal clear and creates a nice current throughout the tank. It's a nice little unit that attaches with a magnet instead of the regular suction cups. I'm very happy with it.

I have not tried the surface skimmer but that sounds like a good solution as well.

Edited by patrick

I have a 65 gallon (36x18x24 tall) with a spraybar output on the canister on the left side about 3" below the water line and aimed up at about a 30 degree angle (causes a slight rippling across 2/3 of the water's surface - very nice for gas exchange) in addition to 2 300 gph powerheads - one on the back wall mounted high and pointing left and one on the front pointing right and mounted low (about 12" off the bottom). The intake for the canister is on the right and this all combines for two main currents in the tank. The two powerheads are aimed downwards just enough to literally blow the crap right out of the two hardest parts to siphon - the front (where the glass can be etched over time with the siphon pushing the sand) and the back (the top of the tank is 5' off the ground, so even Val would have a hard time seeing what is WAY back there). For the amount of fish I have and the three super-pooper BNs I have cleaned more dookie out of a betta's bowl. Flow, Flow, Flow!

I have experimented with different tank shapes and how various flow patterns affect the fish. The more 'square' a footprint go with a circular flow pattern (think: Stir The Cauldron). If your tank is a long style, then it's MUCH harder to do, and I suggest trying for a double roll (Think: Wax On, Wax Off) with a centrally mounted filtration and powerheads on each side aimed correctly. Most fish are used to currents... it's what nature does. You certainly would not want a 1000 gph powerhead in a 33, but there are fish that WOULD love it! They would sit themselves right in front of it and fight that current all damn day... meanwhile imagining they are out in the wild, making miles and miles each day until... hey! There is my cave! Cool!

I had a problem with surface scum in my cichlid tank when I first started it. All it took was redirecting the flow of the canister filter towards the surface. I also added a long air stone along the back (not a planted tank so I can get away with that, lol).