Amano Shrimp

Fish_Frenzy

I recently bought 4 Amano Shrimp. Turns out to be 2 female, 2 Male. All 4 have moulted 2x and I have found clumps of eggs in the tank. It appears they keep moving the eggs.

I know you need high brackish water to hatch/raise the babies and I want to know how to go about this. I have found a few sites with detailed directions but I am an idiot and have no clue on how to measure the salinity.

My questions are:

#1- Can I use plain aquarium salt? And is this the same as Instant Ocean Salt? ( I told you I was an idiot!) lol

#2- How do I measure salinity?

#3- Would an airstone/ sponge filter be enough to sustain the babies or would I need something a little more advanced?

#4-Has anyone else tried to raise the babies? I am curious as to personal experiences- do's and dont's

Cherry shrimp are sooooo much easier! LOL

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

From what I understand from a fellow at the ACE meeting , you can also use water conditioner salt. Much cheaper , comes in huge bags. You'll need to use a refractrometer. There are inexpensive plastic ones sold at lfs to measure salinity.

If you can grow SW Green Water, you should be able to raise the kids. When they molt and look like mini-adults, you can put them back into FW... that's what I've read. After I move, I plan on experimenting w. them.