Tank almost ready

tikka223

It has been a long process but I have finally got all my leak problems solved. It only cost me one Laminate floor. I will be putting fish in soon and need some expert advice. Since it has taken so long to solve all the little problems my Bio Material has been in my friends sump system for over six weeks. When I do transfer the material into my sump system how long should I wait before putting fish in. I have been talking to Aquarium Enthusiasts and they say that I could put fish in the next day but that the tank still may cycle so I guess my other question is what fish should I put in to help the cycle. I want to do a combined Tang. and Malawi tank with the help of Aquarium Enthusiasts. The lady there says it can be done but you have to be selective. She is willing to help me in my selection. Any imput from anyone out there would be greatly accepted. The tank is 72"x24"x30" and is filtered by a sump/overflow system.

Thanks for your imput Shane

I would add the bio media and then do a fishless cycle. The used media will really speed it up(should take a week or sodepending on how much seed media you use) and once the fishless cycle is done you can add most of your fish at once. This is a bonus with africans as adding them all at once will help reduce fighting compared to adding them a few every couple weeks.

Is this your first african tank? If it is I would suggest not mixing the lakes. Stick to one or the other untill you become more familar with the species and their behaviours. Malawis are great for starting out as tangs can be a bit harder.

previous suggestion is a good one. however, i've been cycling a new 75 for a month - i bought about 20 Danio's over a week period (cheap and good dither fish after cycling) - lost them all due to skyrocketing ammonia and nitrite levels. finally, after about 6 weeks my ammonia level is safe and nitrite level mediocre. just a heads up - i'd hate to see you lose expensive fish quickly. And I too used established media from another tank and some live plants.

good luck!

j

Edited by hemingwaygt

I would add the bio media and then do a fishless cycle. The used media will really speed it up(should take a week or sodepending on how much seed media you use) and once the fishless cycle is done you can add most of your fish at once. This is a bonus with africans as adding them all at once will help reduce fighting compared to adding them a few every couple weeks.

Is this your first african tank? If it is I would suggest not mixing the lakes. Stick to one or the other untill you become more familar with the species and their behaviours. Malawis are great for starting out as tangs can be a bit harder.

Thanks for your ideas and imput. I never know who to beleive but have never been steered wrong when AA is involved. Lake Malawi is the best choice of the two but I really like the Fronts. Down the road I may see if they can be added depending on what is present at the time. Thanks again Shane

Not to diss Val, but I'm guessing you're talking to Rita at AE. She's kept and bread more africans than most; so, with her help in selecting the fish, you should be fine. Rita is also a member of AA (k9outfit).

Cycling... it's really hard to say. I've done what Rita's said - add fish right after adding cycled media - and had no problems. I've had what hemmingwaygt mentioned happen to me.