aggression problems

ABwildrose

I have a major aggression problem that suddenly erupted in my tank...over the past week or so (2 fish dead and 2 hiding/not eating). I am trying to find the culprit and fix the problem. I have a 77 gal tank with 4 acei (1 holding), 4 yellow labs (1 hides in the top corner), 1m and 1 f msobo deep (newest additions...I got them end of Mar), 4 yellow rock kribs (2m,2f...1 f hides in the top corner), 3 syn petricolas.

My demasoni has completely disappeared and 1 m msobo deep was killed...shortly after he started showing male colors.

My best guess would be the male msobo or the dom m rock krib as the aggressors. I havent seen any chasing or bullying except between the 2 male rock kribs...they really scrap badly and I need to get rid of one of them very soon.

Do I get rid of the dominant male rock krib or the other one?

My f rock krib has taken to hiding bihind the heater and has stopped eating..could I put her in a breeders net in the tank? or would that even work.

Do I have too many fish in the tank...or not enough?

I would remove the dom krib. Kribs aren't usually overly aggressive, but like all fish, some individuals can have personalities outside of the norm. IMO your stocking level seems about right for a 77 and those species.

Some interesting comments about krib aggression near the bottom of this page:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/ghaplokrib.html

I think you are right...I have been trying to catch him...and it hasnt been going well lol. Any volunteers???? lol

Since my 2 male kribs are scrapping so bad...I can hear them splashing from across the room...and a f is in hiding...I think he is causing trouble. The kribs seem to completely ignore all other fish in the tank. I am guessing the m msobo caused the problem with the other m msobo and the demasoni.

I also have at least 1 fry swimming around...probably acei itungi as mommy isnt holding anymore...I wonder how long he will last.

A tip i use when catchingfish is to use a divider. I take out soeme of the rock on one side of my tank and put in a divider(i use that plastic cardboard stuff). I then take my hand an guide the fish over to that side of the tank and close it off. The fish are trapped in the side clear of any obsticles and easy to catch.

I once thad to try adn catch 8 fish out of my 90g. I was trying for 45mins with 3 nets(i had a helper also) but still didn't catch one. I was about to give up when i thought about this. After putting in the divider it took 10mins to catch all 8 fish. This technique is especially god for catchign holdign females as you dont' stress them out as much.

Hope this helps.