superstore companion?

bbetta

A chiller is basically an airconditioner for your tank. Keeps the water temp down so the critters don't fry. Do a web search and you'll find lots of them. Have fun with it. I've thought about it too, but have decided that the fat man likes lobster too much, mmmmm lobster.

A chiller is basically an airconditioner for your tank. Keeps the water temp down so the critters don't fry. Do a web search and you'll find lots of them. Have fun with it. I've thought about it too, but have decided that the fat man likes lobster too much, mmmmm lobster.

You could keep it for the next few months. Put the tank in your unheated garage with a heater to keep the water from freezing.

hey man. thanks!!!! um. how much would one a those chillers cost me?

Look here, J & L Aquatics, for one.

Looking at about $550 after tax and shipping on the 1/10hp...not a cheap toy.

My kid's school back in BC set up a DIY chiller. They got a garden hose which they snaked into the building, into the classroom, and then into a large 200 gallon aquarium; then they threaded it around the bottom of the aquarium (covered it up with rocks and sand), before snaking it back out the aquarium, out of the room, and out of the building. Then they ran the hose with cold water 24 hours a day! The tank was used to hatch salmon eggs as part of a class project (the salmon fry were later released into a local stream).

Given that water conservation is a pressing issue in many parts of the world these days, this approach may not be ethical, ecologically sustainable, or economical. All depends on where you live and how much local water there is I guess.

As a fall-back DIY chiller for anyone whose purchased chiller breaks down, the idea might have merrit.

Somewhere, someone, suggested using a bar fridge with a sump set up in it for a chiller. Thought that might work out well. Cold beers in the door, handy for water change day, and a tank chiller to boot. Sorry, to the person that actually came up with the idea, for stealing it.

Then they ran the hose with cold water 24 hours a day!

Given that water conservation is a pressing issue in many parts of the world these days, this approach may not be ethical, ecologically sustainable, or economical.

Precisely...in Calgary, that would likely cost you a good $100/month+...and a lot of ice outside come November.

I met a guy at a LFS and he had the beerfridge and said it worked great for his sturgeons.

That must have been one huge, powerful fridge, as fridge chillers are very inefficient.

Wouldn't a deep freeze be more practical for this sort of DIY? That or go all out and put in a geothermal ground loop... :thumbs:

Wouldn't a deep freeze be more practical for this sort of DIY? That or go all out and put in a geothermal ground loop... :thumbs:

More so, certainly....but the efficiency of a chiller made with say 150' of hose inside an 8 cubic foot deep freeze would still be far behind and actual chiller, cost nearly as much, and would take up ten times the space.