Dojo or Weather Loaches

nicole

I have a pair of dojo loaches... the female bigger than the male and I believe she's pregnant.. But I have no idea about anything to do with this. I've tried researching online and all it says is that they breed in the spring when its cooler or something... and not much else is known. I'd like to know how long they're going to develope inside of her before she lays the eggs.. I was told at that point it would be like 3 or 4 days and they would hatch.. any advice is super helpful. thanks

nicole

Not sure that they've been bred in captivity, but what I'd try is a large (50-80%) WC with very cool water. If your temp is at 78, drop it to the high 50s. If you were up in the Slave Lake area, I'd say fill it back up w. snow (I was up there this week, and they got a couple inches of snow in 2 days!).

Add extra circulation, and lots of fine-leafed plants (they may scatter their eggs in the plants).

That's what I'd try... I know a sudden drop in temp like that can be dangerous; but, if your fish are healthy, they should be fine. I wouldn't leave the temp low for long... I'm not sure if I'd even unplug the heater.

HTH.