Tank Glass Cleaner - Cheap & Effective

RD.

I recently stumbled upon a cleaning product that in short is simply amazing. It does contain some surfactants (soap) so you don't want to get any in to the tank itself, but for cleaning the outside of the tank it works like charm. You can even use it to clean the stand & canopy if you feel the need.

If you click on the following link, then click on "Quality Cleaners", the product I'm referring to is the Oil Soap. (Action 1 Oil Soap)

http://www.usherswholesale.com/cleaners.html

I know, you're thinking Oil Soap to clean glass? :blink: ... but trust me, in a previous life I spent 15 years cleaning glass, and I have never seen anything that works as slick as this product does. You pour a small amount of the Oil Soap into a 2-4 liter bowl, then add lukewarm water. It's a very gentle/mild cleaner with no harsh ingredients such as ammonia. (which is what most glass cleaners are). You simply take a cloth, soak it, wring it out, wipe the glass down, then repeat. The glass is left lightly damp, but when it dries it has absolutely no film on it, and the glass is left crystal clear.

It's sold in a number of stores, including "loonie stores", and here in Red Deer cost $1. Unless you have numerous tanks, one container should last you a year or more.

Interesting, I just use vinegar and water, with newspaper(only black and white pages) to clean works great, vinegar can get in your tank with very little problem, it takes alot to actually lower your pH. The newspaper's black ink even fills in little scratches and makes them less visible. The oil soap may be nice for my stands though.

I'm not sure about salt build up?

As far as vinegar/water and newspaper, that's the beauty of the Oil Soap, no need for any elbow grease. You simply wipe it down, then walk away. Maybe I'm just to anal about cleaning glass, but I hate streaks and/or water marks, and I really hate work! :wacko:

Makes sense, I think I am more air concious around my fish than a clean glass person. I once did a waterchange as soon as I came home from work and killed off a tank full due to something that must have been on my hands, so I am more sticky on what gets sprayed around my tanks than what is stuck to them. Maybe that's just because I own a mastiff though, the minute I finish cleaning glass he shakes and leaves a slimer on my tank anyways. After saying that though, I must contradict myself in saying, as for the salt content or build up. I wait until I can empty my tank, soak it in CLR overnight (not near the silicone though that should be covered as I use tape) and scrub it off, replace the water and resume fishkeeping. seems to be the best at removing scum although I have heard of the much safer method which I haven't tried yet, Coke or Pepsi, apparently some are having great success leaving that sit on the glass a few hours and then scrubbing clean. I think with the coke though the only harm to fish would be a nasty acid fluctuation.

• 4 months later...