which filter would you guys use?

interlude

My preference on a tank like that would be not to use power filters. I would go with undergravel filters you can still grow plants etc. When I used too keep dwarf cichlids it worked well for me.

I would use either an A/C 50 or 2 sponge filters.

I have a AC70 and a powerhead attached to a sponge filter in my 40g and it works ok. I would probably add another AC70 if I had one as just the one doesn't seem to create enough water movement and surface movement.

If the choice is only between those 2 I would choose the AC70. But you might need to add a powerhead to help with movement.

As much as don't like Hagen products, they are superior to PennPlax. I've used all three of the Cascade lines and both the canister and the HOB went into the garage within a year of use. The canister went into the dumpster 5 weeks after it was purchased. I'll never use them again.

The Aquaclear on the other hang is Hagens biggest blunder, in that it works so well, that making models obsolete every 5 years like the Fluval line can't be done, because everyone that has ever used one knows that it really can't be improved on and still maintain the cheap price.

So I give :thumbs: for the Aquaclear, I suggest not using it the way Hagen says to use it.

Edited by Willfishguy

As much as don't like Hagen products, they are superior to PennPlax.

You must not have much volume experience with both, then...the Cascades are far better physical quality (over the Fluval '04 and '05 series...the '02 and '03 were actually pretty good) and much easier to use. I am constantly ordering parts for the newer Fluval canisters, particularly handles, impeller covers, impeller shafts and impellers.

The Aquaclear on the other hang is Hagens biggest blunder, in that it works so well, that making models obsolete every 5 years like the Fluval line can't be done, because everyone that has ever used one knows that it really can't be improved on and still maintain the cheap price.

So I give :thumbs: for the Aquaclear, I suggest not using it the way Hagen says to use it.

I like Aquaclears...love them even....but they are generally inferior to canisters for planted tanks.

Cascade 700 canister all the way....especially if you are going planted with CO2.

Is there some reason you focus on the 700's? What about the 1500's? I'm looking at moving away from fluval canisters and I've noticed the penn-plax are priced lower than a comparably sized Fluval.

Is there some reason you focus on the 700's? What about the 1500's? I'm looking at moving away from fluval canisters and I've noticed the penn-plax are priced lower than a comparably sized Fluval.

Just because that was one of his two options (Cascade 700 vs. AC70), and it fits his tank size well...I love the Cascade 1000, 1200, and 1500 equally (and wish that they made a Cascade 2000...something rated for 250+ gallons). That being said, I do like the Fluval FX5...its the smaller Fluvals that I do not care for.

As much as don't like Hagen products, they are superior to PennPlax.

You must not have much volume experience with both, then...the Cascades are far better physical quality (over the Fluval '04 and '05 series...the '02 and '03 were actually pretty good) and much easier to use. I am constantly ordering parts for the newer Fluval canisters, particularly handles, impeller covers, impeller shafts and impellers.

I like Aquaclears...love them even....but they are generally inferior to canisters for planted tanks.

I have enough experience to know that both Penn Plax and Fluval products suck, regardless of the Fluval series. Infact, I know they suck so bad that I would never sell them or use them for my own fish tanks. As far as canisters go, there are only three readily availible brands that exist in my world and they are neither Penn plax or Fluval.