which filter would you guys use?

interlude

As far as canisters go, there are only three readily availible brands that exist in my world and they are neither Penn plax or Fluval.

Eheim, I am sure, but I am curious as to the other two...surely not Rena?

I'm not really a fan of Rena, though clearly it has a god future ahead of it and I'm interested to see how future models of this filter develop. The other two are canisters that provide functions that Eheim does not. Which is why I only recommend the Eheim for biological and basic mechanical filtration. The other two are not pertinent to this thread's topic.

In saying all this, many people do not have Eheim as an option and make the best out of inferior products. People who have success with Fluval or Cascade don't do so because the filters are good, they do so because of their own desire to make the filter work for them. Me on the other hand, I don't even have the patience to return a 5 week old piece of crap Cascade to Diana, instead I smash it to bits (like everything else that pisses me off) and throw it in the dumpster.

So if you can make a Cascade or a Fluval work well and keep fish alive and healthy with them, then kudos to you, you're a better fish keeper than me.

:thumbs:

Edited by Willfishguy

I don't even have the patience to return a 5 week old piece of crap Cascade to Diana, instead I smash it to bits (like everything else that pisses me off) and throw it in the dumpster.

I'm sure someone else could benefit (as well as some fish) if you were to sell the next piece of equipment that pisses you off instead of being so wasteful.

I think this arguement all comes down to preference and past experience. I have had frequent problems with the fluval xx4 series canisters. I purchased them all used and they accomplish what I need them for most of the time. They provide containment for biological bacteria and they circulate the water around the tank. The rest is a compromise between price, ease of use and longevity.

I don't even have the patience to return a 5 week old piece of crap Cascade to Diana, instead I smash it to bits (like everything else that pisses me off) and throw it in the dumpster.

I'm sure someone else could benefit (as well as some fish) if you were to sell the next piece of equipment that pisses you off instead of being so wasteful.

mmm no, I didn't and still don't consider that act wasteful, but the right thing to do. I would never give a piece of garbage to someone else, but I instead put it where it belongs.

relatively wasteful.

but i've generally heard good reviews on the renas on price and quality.

As for cascades and fluvals i've heard various problems with those.

Me myself has never bought a canister filter.

Only a little DIY canister which i used a crappy pump on... and into the box it went ..

Also with eheims i hear the longetivity of the units, and the relatively superior quality is what gets people, but the price is what shoo's them off.

The other two are not pertinent to this thread's topic.

Who cares...name them anyway.

instead I smash it to bits (like everything else that pisses me off) and throw it in the dumpster.

That include people? ;)

then kudos to you, you're a better fish keeper than me.

The other two are not pertinent to this thread's topic.

Who cares...name them anyway.

instead I smash it to bits (like everything else that pisses me off) and throw it in the dumpster.

That include people? ;)

then kudos to you, you're a better fish keeper than me.

Naa, I have no desire sharing information about the filters I use that are not relevant to this thread.

It would depend on what they did to me to piss me off. Like if something was done or said to compromise the health and wellbeing of my children, then sure, I'd smash them to bits.

I have a Fluvial 403 that I bought in 1992-ish. Still running strong and the only thing I have replaced was the main O-ring. Maybe they don't make them like they used to.

I can't say that I have ever had a complaint about it and I admit I am pretty ignorant of what is out there in the market now and how it works as I have never considered replacing it.

Mabey you guys should save this enlightened conversation to the P.M. service.

Especialy since one of you is on thin ice as it is.

I concur! This is way off subject and inappropriate behavior from both of you.