Ordering fish from the states

interlude

Hey guys,

Do any of you guys have experience in ordering fish from the states? Are there any processes that we have to go through in order to get fish sent here?

Thanks in advance

I have done it. Just a couple of things to keep in mind. Do not use a commercial address as your shipping address. If you do then there will be a lot of questions at the customs...

Make sure the sender label the fish as pond or tank raised.

I ended up with a cranky customs officer and it was early in the morning. He asked a lot of questions but I finally got the fish.

Hey guys,

Do any of you guys have experience in ordering fish from the states? Are there any processes that we have to go through in order to get fish sent here?

Thanks in advance

I have done it. Just a couple of things to keep in mind. Do not use a commercial address as your shipping address. If you do then there will be a lot of questions at the customs...

Make sure the sender label the fish as pond or tank raised.

I ended up with a cranky customs officer and it was early in the morning. He asked a lot of questions but I finally got the fish.

sweet.. so say i order from a shop in PA and get it shipped there shouldnt be too much paperwork?

just ship it to my house and all is good? Now I just have to find a day where I can stay home and wait for the package

if you do an order make sure its done through fed ex and all the paperwork is triple checked.

or they could sit at customs a long while.

Quinn.

its actually cheaper to get fed ex overnight to your door too

Just spoke to 2 different fedex customer service reps.. they said they wont ship live animals... which i dont believe...

what are you looking for I am going to doing an order in the middle of December?

I will be doing the customs my self since I going to opening a fish store next year. I have been told that there is lots red tape to go through when you clear customs and the more you do it the easer it gets since you know the system and the customs agents get to know you.

If you are only doing it once in a while I would look for a broker to do the customs for you. I do know that UPS has very high broker fees so I would steer clear of them.

what are you looking for I am going to doing an order in the middle of December?

I will be doing the customs my self since I going to opening a fish store next year. I have been told that there is lots red tape to go through when you clear customs and the more you do it the easer it gets since you know the system and the customs agents get to know you.

If you are only doing it once in a while I would look for a broker to do the customs for you. I do know that UPS has very high broker fees so I would steer clear of them.

if its a small order dont worry about any of that, small orders go basically undetected.

Quinn

sweet.. so say i order from a shop in PA and get it shipped there shouldnt be too much paperwork?

Not too much, but it will not be cheap, especially on a per-fish basis if you are ordering less than $600+ in fish.

how come it was only $92 for me to ship overnight to my door via fed ex. i ordered 18 fish from georgia too.

my whole order was $192

how come it was only $92 for me to ship overnight to my door via fed ex. i ordered 18 fish from georgia too.

my whole order was $192

You were very lucky in two aspects: 1) FedEx almost never accepts live fish; 2) I know about 30 people in Calgary that have had fish couriered up from the US, and not one has managed to have a single box come in at under $120.

I would never trust a courier service for your fish. I have lost many due to delays, F ups and general crap.

Ship airport to airport. Customs will be easier for you to deal with and your fish will generally make it here within the timeframe they tell you

The cost of shipping with Northwest Airlines from NY to Edmonton including airport fees was $82. This was back in June earlier this year. It was actually cheaper than shipping with WestJet from BC.

Wow.. if some of you guys know some reputable breeders in the states, and have had successful purchases/shipping let me know! Im still shopping for fish.

I ordered from this place:

http://www.reservestockcichlids.com/

You can read the breeders reviews here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/view_...iew.php?id=2611

If you want to get in contact with the breeder first, don't bother trying to e-mail them (they aren't very good at checking their e-mail), just call and ask for Doug.