Leaky tank

stribbelldk

Hey all,

I have a tank that has a small dribble from the top plastic piece. It then runs down the front of my tank looking like I have bird crap on my tank.

My question is: If I lower my tank water a couple inches from the top and remove the top plastic piece, clean it really well and re-silicone the top and put it back on, would i risk the health of my fish?

Or would my tank burst at the seams when I took it off?

It is a 80 gal (48 x 16 x 24) with 18 Malawi cichlids in it. I don't have the option of setting up more tanks to hold these guys ....yet, so that is not an option.

Ideas???

Derek

Hey all,

I have a tank that has a small dribble from the top plastic piece. It then runs down the front of my tank looking like I have bird crap on my tank.

My question is: If I lower my tank water a couple inches from the top and remove the top plastic piece, clean it really well and re-silicone the top and put it back on, would i risk the health of my fish?

Or would my tank burst at the seams when I took it off?

It is a 80 gal (48 x 16 x 24) with 18 Malawi cichlids in it. I don't have the option of setting up more tanks to hold these guys ....yet, so that is not an option.

Ideas???

Derek

i wouldnt risk taking the seal off. i'd just lower the water level and silicone the inside of the seal. make sure when you seal it the silicone is in a bead.

Quinn

The trim does not have any structural significance. If you take if off and there is water in the tank, eveything will be fine. Just becareful not to shell the glass. Other then an Olfa type knife, keep any metal tools off the glass. If using a metal tool to help pry off the trim, be sure to keep a piece of rubber or plastic between the tool and the glass. If you need info on running a silicone bead, just say so and I'll describe how I do it for you. The silicone, though it has a strong vinegar smell to it, will not harm the fish. If any drips down in the water, scoop it up with a net. If you're using clear silicone, give it at least three days to skin over and if you're using black, give it seven days to skin over before topping the tank off. This is not a structural job, so no need to wait any longer for drying time.

The trim does not have any structural significance. If you take if off and there is water in the tank, eveything will be fine. Just becareful not to shell the glass. Other then an Olfa type knife, keep any metal tools off the glass. If using a metal tool to help pry off the trim, be sure to keep a piece of rubber or plastic between the tool and the glass. If you need info on running a silicone bead, just say so and I'll describe how I do it for you. The silicone, though it has a strong vinegar smell to it, will not harm the fish. If any drips down in the water, scoop it up with a net. If you're using clear silicone, give it at least three days to skin over and if you're using black, give it seven days to skin over before topping the tank off. This is not a structural job, so no need to wait any longer for drying time.

dont think it could of been said better,

Quinn

If your tank has a center brace it will bow out if you remove the frame, I would lower the water at least half way while the frame is off. Once it has been replaced you can add water back to about an inch from the top until it has had about 48 hours to cure.

Just lower the water 3 to 4" make sure the corner is dry give it 24 hours. Then put some silicone on your finger and work it into the leaky corner. wait another 24 to 48 hours and top up the tank. all should be good then with out all the hassle and work.

Just did the same thing to a 20 gal worked just fine. I wiped the corner frequently with a dry towel, for a few minutes, applied silicone and 24 hrs later all was ok

Just lower the water 3 to 4" make sure the corner is dry give it 24 hours. Then put some silicone on your finger and work it into the leaky corner. wait another 24 to 48 hours and top up the tank. all should be good then with out all the hassle and work.