Redhump is at it again!

mitsukuni

• 2 weeks later...

Female number two is now in the nursery tank, holding eggs. If they grow fast enough, I can combine them with the fry in the tank above them from female number 1 (see post above). I sure hope female number three stays away from that goofy red-lipped stud muffin for a while - running out of room!

Female number two is now in the nursery tank, holding eggs. If they grow fast enough, I can combine them with the fry in the tank above them from female number 1 (see post above). I sure hope female number three stays away from that goofy red-lipped stud muffin for a while - running out of room!

sweet! congrats on the babies :)

sweet! congrats on the babies

Thanks!

Whats a redhump?

The redhump that is usually seen is known by other names, but according to the latest literature, geophagus steindachneri is the correct one, at least for my fish. Its a SA eartheater, and the female is an excellent mouthbrooder. I got some wild caught fish, 3 females and a male, last spring. My four redhumps live in a pretty well stocked 77, and I can regularly get fry if I have the room to separate mama once she starts holding...

Any pics of the parents?

Don't have any from the latest batch, but here are a couple of pics from the first batch:

Mama scooping babies when she sees me coming:

n537117024_256895_5654.jpg

Here's an older pic of the goofy male, whom my wife calls the "drag queen" cause she says he has lipstick on:

n537117024_208242_6953.jpg

He's grown since this pic, and has even nicer colors - I'll have to get some more shots. And maybe I'll actually clean the glass this time? Maybe... :blush:

Congrats on the new fry.

These are one of the neatest and most fun fish to have and watch. I only have the one pair and they keep me well supplied in fry. Dont know what I would do with 3 females. You bettere buy more tanks..lol I keep mine apart till I want more fry , than i put them together and watch the fun.

My female has about 40 fry right now, so she will go in another tank till they are grown up and gone.

They more I see of the different kinds of eateaters the more I like them. they are very nice fish and fun to watch. I think I soon will have a tank just for this type of fish.