Dwarf Puffers

interlude

Wouldn't the puffers bother a mystery snail? I thought I couldn't keep one in my community tank that has a dwarf puffer in it. I KNOW they're way bigger, but I figured the puffer would be pestering it, if nothing else.

Edited by NatureNut

Not much damage but the snail hardly ever moved.

Js

Which would end up quickly starving it to death.

Honestly, I have no experience with DPs, but I do think it's time to try them out. My oppinion though is that of 'no' with catfish such as otos and cories and such others. Puffers, especially hunter and stalker types tend to taste everything once and the way I've seen it is, fins and eyes are very tasty. I have an Mbu Puffer (the extreme size opposite to DPs) that will not touch the school of neon dwarf rainbows or the dwarf gourami that are in with him, but put something in it's tank that moves along the bottom or along the glass and they are a right-off in no time.

I have kept dwarf puffers with ottos with great success. The dwarfs never bothered my ottos but the pond snails...they just hunted them down. I also fed them small (newly "dropped") crayfish.

As for the snail, it just became nocturnal...Comes out and feed at night and sleeps when the puffer is awake.

Like I said...each puffer will have their own little quirks and personalities. I have seen people in waterwolves keep mbu with stingrays and arrowana and fly river turtle.

Check out thepufferforum.com.

As for the snail, it just became nocturnal...Comes out and feed at night and sleeps when the puffer is awake.

Does not jive with "but the snail hardly ever moved."

I have seen people in waterwolves keep mbu with stingrays and arrowana and fly river turtle.

I would never risk my animals in this way, knowing what I know from past experiences with these four types of critters.

Edited by Willfishguy

The puffer I have is in with swordtails, emperor tetras, dwarf corycats, cardinals, a ghost shrimp and has had ottos in with it too. No problems... I've heard some are more pushy than others. There are also MTS in here that we rarely see (smart snailies) and not a pond snail to be seen... and the tank was overrun when we got the puffer.