water transfer

snaggle

I have four divided tanks each one is 60 gallons and are divide in to three separate tanks. 3 of them the tanks are not water tight so if I fill one they will have the same amount of water. If I just leave them as they are will this allow for diseases to transfer freely or will it slow down the transfer so I can start to treat first? I have two of them running right now and I find that the temp in between then dose vary so I don't think that there is that much water transfer.

Let me know what you think if I should fix that last one that is empty I need to do it tomorrow.

Is there 1 filter system for all 3 compartments, or are they like completely separated sections? If there isn't really that much transfer, you might be safe - if you're using separate filtration for each section. That being said, weigh the cost of redoing the silicon ($ and time) against the possibility of disease spreading.

If you stay on top of things, disease is rarely a problem, anyway.

I am using a separate filter for each tank. After this fish order is done and before I start my web site I think I will re do each tanks since this is going to be for a retail store and I don't want to transfer any diseases to my other fish.

youre using sponge filters right brad?

there shouldn't be any diseases spreading as long as you stay on top of your water maintainence.

i noticed the gravel usually stops the water flow from one tank to another by quite a bit in the marina divided tanks.

it also takes quite a while for sufficient amounts of water to transfer over to the next tank.

Quinn

The rate of transfer for a disease to travel from one tank to another depends on the disease in question. For example, if you land a fish with oodinum and water from that fish's tank has access at all to another tank (spash, nets, hands, etc.) then you can be sure the fish in the next tank will contact the oodinum within 24 hours. If you land a fish with Flexibacter then it could take much longer for it to spread because of it's bacterial physiology compared to a parasites'.