Merry Christmas to Me

Albertan

It's not often we get fish into Grande Prairie that appeal to me period (read CA cichlids), let alone nice ones. I popped into Petland on the 23rd and saw two fish in a tank marked Not for Sale, which is normal until the fish manager inspects new arrivals. I immediately recognized them as two Red Devils/Midas/hybrids. One was digging in the gravel and looked beautiful. The other was tucked up in a corner looked close to dead...big surprise. Being bummed out with my dovii I decided to pick up the nice one, and made arrangements to come back the next day to pick it up. I've only got a 21g to house the fish right now, but it's grossly overfiltered and eight feet from a bathroom for easy water changes. I must confess, this little guy/girl instantly perked up my interest in the hobby. Nuchal humps aren't my gig, but in this little fella I finally seem to have found a fish that shows some personality and promises to grow into a nice wet pet. Although truthfully it hides in its little cave most of the time, it's flared at me a couple of times already, and also just sat there watching me on the couch. Anyways, this is a picture forum...

236004605-M.jpg

236004627-M.jpg

236004570-M.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice shots, glad to hear you are pleased with the little guy.

This fish is an extrovert with a capital E. Very rarely sits in its little cave, and isn't spooked at all by passing traffic. What a pleasant change from the dovii. I should put the 7" female dovii in the 21g and give this little fella free range in the 120g. :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
yeah any shyness in him will drain out quick. a future glass banger

Yeah, "future" as in a week after I got him. This little guy is a monster. Easily the most psycotic fish I have ever owned...easily.

Let me at the 8" dovii next door!!!

245139520-M.jpg

Who me aggressive?!? How about a nice convict for a friend? Puhweeeeze.

245139544-M.jpg

Coloring up quite nicely already since I picked it up.

245139502-M.jpg

A little less lighting to show the excellent coloration on its fins.

245139471-M.jpg

And growing too. Compared to the original pictures just a few weeks ago, its already outgrown its cave.

245139487-XL.jpg

Cheers. :smokey:

lol, that's great to hear Dean. I plan on setting up a couple of more 125's once we move in the next month or two, and I'm hoping to find a nice RD/Midas for one of those tanks. I was really hoping for a red/orange & white specimen, but I'm not sure how easy that color variant is to find in these parts? I'd love to grow out a big brute such as Pei's midas shown in the link below.

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/f...lids/midas.html

The other one that was with him at Petland has healed up nicely in his absence and is equally aggressive. It's a piebald color morph with some black blotches on it. If your interested let me know. I may be able to raise him for a couple of months for you for Spring pickup if I ever get the sump going.

Thanks very much for the generous offer Dean, but I think that I had better wait until my tank is up & running before I make any commitments. I was thinking of maybe even getting in on a future order via Ken or Jeff, buying 6 or so juvies, growing them out until they start pounding on each other, and then keeping the best & parting with the rest.