Lesbian Mollies?

Joseph Elliott

One of my female mollies has been bullying the others and attempting to mate with one for the last couple weeks. Is she confused? There are a total of 4 sailfin mollies in the tank with a few other species. 2 flourescent orange females (the two trying to mate) 1 black lyretail female and 1 black lyretail male. I'm not sure whats up but its pretty amusing to watch.

Joseph

I have heard stories that livebearers can change sex if if there is a disparity in the male:female ratio. Not sure if this is just a myth or the real thing.

It is myth. subdominant males will take on the female appearance, and if they can will change to the male appearance when the time is right for them

My understanding is that females possess the male organs just like human fetuses all start life female and that genes and hormonal changes develop the fetus into male child. This is why men have nipples. I'd have to find research but I do believe mother nature has evolved them in this way to protect the ongoings of any species.

In livebearers they do not retain both sets of sexual organs. Females cannot become males or vice versa. Sometimes females can develop

a gonopodium (sort of) but they don't have testes. If a female seems to become a male a and breeds some females then it was actually just a male that was slow to develop.