Bottom tank mates

snaggle

Curious here... doesn't a betta pretty much create enough bioload for a 2.5 gallon tank? Especially if it's unplanted. I can see maybe adding something if the tank is 5g or more... but maybe I'm missing something. :)

I am looking for tank mates for bettas mostly clean up type fish. Right now I am leaning towards Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras elegans, Otocinclus afinis and red cherry shrimp. I want to have one or two options since this is for my pet store and I don't have much experience with bettas.

I am going to create a betta section in my store since I have found out that bettas are a popular fish in this town I want to sell a kit 2.5 to 5 gallons and have small fish that will mix well with bettas. I have a couple small tetras in mind and maybe some killies since they all stay small.

I agree with NatureNut. Are you thinking you would have two different packages - one with a betta in a 2.5 gallon and then a betta and a bottom feeder in a 5 gallon?

I can have two different packages. I am also looking to have one of those mini HOB filters. For plants I was thinking about having a just low light plants for the betta kits.

I can have two different packages. I am also looking to have one of those mini HOB filters. For plants I was thinking about having a just low light plants for the betta kits.

This sounds so exciting! Have you looked at the Whisper In-Tank filter for up to 3 gallons? I had one on a 2.5 gallon betta tank and it did not have a high enough flow to bother him too much. It comes with a tiny, very quiet air pump.

Elite mini filters are also a good choice for small betta tanks. I use them in my smaller tanks,one of which contains a betta, and I think its a great little filter.

I have to agree with some of the previous posts. If its a 2.5g a betta alone will be enough. If its a 5g, a betta and a bottomfeeder might work. BUt if the people who are buying are first time keepers i wouldn't recommend over stocking a 5g with bottomfeeders.

I keep one of my bettas in a 5g with some adult amano shrimp and they do very well together. The amanos are big enough not to get eaten and my betta seems to leave them alone. I had previously tried some cherry shrimps and those were all eaten. So my suggestion would be to stick wtih the larger amanos if recommending shrimps.

What about the Parotocinclus species like the Pitbull Pleco? I find mine to be more than willing to share its space with gouramies and platys and it is a lot of fun to watch.

I wouldn't recommend these for a 5g betta tank as they like to be in groups. So you'd need atleast 3 and thats too many for a 5g. A 10g would be better suited. But I do agree they are cool little fish. I just bought 4 :)

Interesting thread.

Ghost shrimp get larger too don't they, they're cheaper, and since they don't eat algae, wouldn't it also make a feasable option with the betta.

Not so sure since the majority of customers are probably first time fishkeepers.

Good effort though, seems like a cool plan.

I'll also have to agree with val on the elite mini filters, great filters, quiet, and adjustable flow, i liked them better than the Tetra whisper 3i in tank filter, quieter, and the fact it used a sponge instead of a cartridge.

Also there's also the problem with bettas having different personalities, so it will vary from fish to fish as to what will work.

I do agree that bettas do have different personalities and that can lead to trouble down the line. My target customer for these kits are people looking to go from just bettas to more fish but not take the full leap to a tropical tank.

I can get the whisper filter but I would have to compete with wal-mart.

What about some thing like the Eclipse Systems? I could offer the option to get a heater or just keep the tank for bettas even though they should have heat.