Co2 addition for beginners

geleen

Please enlighten this Co2 ,not even started, newby! unsure.gif

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...reactor500wpump

1/Is this all you need?

2/I guess one needs to buy co2 cartridges as well? And how many per year?

3/They talk about 180 bubbles per minute is this enough for a 1.8 w/gal, 90 gallon tank?

4/ What will happen to my PH

Thank you for your reply ...I am totally in the dark about this, but would like better plant growth without adding more wattage.

John

If I remember correctly , if you don't have high light , CO2 isn't much help. You would likely do better with fert sticks pushed into the substrate under the plants and adding Excel and Nurish .

Jason is our planted tank expert , I'm sure he'll enlighten us :D

Adding CO2 is never a bad idea! :D

1.9 WPG isn't really low-light. You'll want to add some ferts. If you're testing for NO3, PO4, etc. then you'll want to keep NO3 around 10-15ppm, PO4 around .5-1ppm. If you're using KNO3 and KH2PO4, then you'll be fine for K.

If you don't want to test, use the IE method (see pinned thread on articles).

Your pH will dip a bit, but that's not a big deal. Expensive reactors are not necessary, IMO - see my reply in the thread on the glass diffusors.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by jvision

The item you have linked to is only a reactor which dissolves the CO2 bubbles in the water. You would still need to supply the gas in some manner (eg. from a pressurized cylinder.)

This article explains everything about planted tanks for the beginner. The chapter on CO2 should answer your other Qs.