Help with fish identification please

gsdvongestalt

I just bought this 55 gallon tank and I think this is a Boesmani rainbow fish, but not sure... Can anyone confirm or deny that? The fish currently has some health issues (cloudy eyes, excessive slime coat, bit of cottony fluff on his lip) that I am hoping to clear up with regular water changes (the water/substrate was pretty dirty) before hitting with heavy artillery, so s/he is not colored up at all right now. The fish is approximately 4.5 to 5.5 inches long.

Edited to add that the person who sold me the tank and fish stated that this fish usually has orange on its back half...

rainbowfish.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Michelle

Edited by gsdvongestalt

I am a newbie, have no clue about fish, but looking at the pictures of a Boesmani rainbow fish, and your picture, I would say your probably correct on ID, size seems off though. Maybe a better option may be the Australian rainbowfish, bigger in size, maybe a bit off in color but not drastic as the boesmani.Not only is it cool to try and see if your correct, I learn more about fishes!! So, thanks for asking, gave me a chance to learn about yet another fish. Found this site for info on the Boesmani. and Austrailian

Take a peek, hope it helps a bit.

My guess is that it is a Lake Tebera or yellow rainbow. Likely female. They have orange fins. However a crossbred is also possible.

Google the above for pics.

A good resource is www.rainbowfish.info lots of experts to help

j.

Edited by geleen

If the fish isn't properly colored up it's going to be hard to tell. If a boesemani, the front half should be showing darker coloration towards navy blue.

A turquoise rainbowfish would probably have a dark stripe running along the mid-line. The size and shape of the fish leads me to think it's more mature; when young the bodies of these fish aren't as deep. A lot of rainbowfish have the same mature body shape so that's not really an identifier on its own.

A site I really like for rainbowfish info is http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/index.htm Check through the species list...but again, you'll probably have to wait until the coloring improves.

Increased water changes will likely be all you need to get this fish up to speed. : )

This fish is at least 4 years old according to the previous owner, but he couldn't remember the name. This morning the fish is more bronzy orangy yellowish in color, and I think I can see hints of some darker horizontal banding along the mid line of the fish. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it. I did notice this morning that his eyes are not as cloudy and the excess body slime seems to have cut down considerably :thumbs: He is also way more active this morning then he was last night.

Michelle

Thats awesome news, keep up the good work!

This fish is at least 4 years old according to the previous owner, but he couldn't remember the name. This morning the fish is more bronzy orangy yellowish in color, and I think I can see hints of some darker horizontal banding along the mid line of the fish. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it. I did notice this morning that his eyes are not as cloudy and the excess body slime seems to have cut down considerably :thumbs: He is also way more active this morning then he was last night.

Michelle