Success Breeding Featherfins

punman

In November 2007 I started a New Topic about my Cyathopharynx foai Sibwesa (a featherfin) that I had purchased 19-Oct-2007. The thread was getting kind of long but I wanted to update everyone so I thought I would start fresh.

The ten fish (genders unknown – three to four inches in length) were in a 180 gallon with Cyprichromis Utinta. A month later two males started to color up and nest build. I was excited December 23 when one female was holding but awoke Christmas morning disappointed that the eggs were gone.

But delight again December 29th when another female was holding. She is close to four inches in length. I have read that these fish don’t always hold well. I don’t have a tumbler and won’t strip fish until after two weeks; preferably longer. I feel like I have been holding my breath since then.

Well, January 17th I stripped the female after 19 days and got 21 fry. They were very active a few minutes later, swimming all around. I have them – the fry – in a 33 gallon tank. I post below a picture of an adult male, the holding female, and fry at 30 minutes after release.

dsc5116reducegk3.jpg

dsc5197atd0.jpg

dsc5265fryof4.jpg

Edited by punman

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe it. Someone is back at it again. (Probably a different female). I saw part of the spawn and saw over 15 eggs drop over a four minute period and she seemed to have lots in her mouth when I got there. I took some pictures. Male colours were intense. I post one picture below. Note the eggs the female is carrying.

dsc5304reducesl1.jpg

I can't believe it. Someone is back at it again. (Probably a different female). I saw part of the spawn and saw over 15 eggs drop over a four minute period and she seemed to have lots in her mouth when I got there. I took some pictures. Male colours were intense. I post one picture below. Note the eggs the female is carrying.

dsc5304reducesl1.jpg

Stunning! Great shot as well!

• 2 weeks later...