First salt tank

JORG

Here's a couple pictures of my first shot at the dark side---everything seems all right to me except the green mushroom thing

fish588.jpg

fish629.jpg

And a couple pictures of my new buddy

fish625.jpg

fish628.jpg

i hate to say it but generally a years worth is the rule of thumb.

any time before that and you add a mandarin and it will probably die, considering this is its food source.

Quinn

The initial live rock I got was already pretty old the tank never had a ammonia or nitrite spike --He seems to find stuff to eat he also likes frozen cyclopseeze. Sometimes I see him grab something in the rocks and a big white cloud comes out of his gills any idea what that is ?

Jorg - have you tried getting the mandarin on pellets?

Not yet I have so much frozen stuff on hand ( krill,brineshrimp,cyclops ) I was hoping to put a dent in that--but at the size of portions I'm feeding these guys it will take 5 years so I think I'll grab some of your marine pellets next time I'm in town and give it a try as it will be easier to use

Mine now eats the small NLS pellets out of a spice jar every day and seems to be doing well. If there are no pellets in the jar for even a day he is noticeably skinny. I mixed them with decapsulated brine shrimp eggs at first and then started feeding just the NLS. Try it, it is way less stinky than frozen. Just make sure to change out any pellets left every two days or they go bad.

Nice looking tank, especially for it being so young. Love the zoas and blue mushrooms.

Mine now eats the small NLS pellets out of a spice jar every day and seems to be doing well. If there are no pellets in the jar for even a day he is noticeably skinny. I mixed them with decapsulated brine shrimp eggs at first and then started feeding just the NLS. Try it, it is way less stinky than frozen. Just make sure to change out any pellets left every two days or they go bad.

Nice looking tank, especially for it being so young. Love the zoas and blue mushrooms.

I was looking at your jar set-up -gonna try it I've been using a skinny tube to get food near him and he has been picking at the cyclops as they come out but because of the current most of it gets blown away.