FishFarm Group Order

Albertan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going through this thread after feeding the fish tonight and realized that the dovii pictures don't really give a person any idea just how blue the fins are on these fish. Let me try that again...

Stupid tinfoil barbs always darting all over the place getting in the way...

247332908-M.jpg

This is the dominant fish. But I have three males with similar coloration. :thumbs:

247332876-M.jpg

There's one of the other males above him. The fins look like they belong on another fish!

247332896-M.jpg

My new desktop as of ten minutes ago. :smokey:

247332925-M.jpg

Dean,

That blue is very beautiful.

Now that you have sexed them, are you going to split out the fish. The reason that I ask is that my grammodes did much better once I split them up. I think there was a little more stress (even for the dominant fish) competing for territory as they matured.

Just curious,

Kevin

One of the males has your name on it if you want one Sue. I will split them apart fairly soon since even in the 120g the dominant male is putting the run on the others. One other male hides next to the FX5 intake behind some plants and defends that little spot as his territory. The other cowers up in the corner behind the FX5 output nozzles. They all still eat fine though. I'd like to grow them out a bit and give my female the chance to choose, but we'll see. At the moment, I'm keeping this dominant male regardless.

One of the males has your name on it if you want one Sue. I will split them apart fairly soon since even in the 120g the dominant male is putting the run on the others. One other male hides next to the FX5 intake behind some plants and defends that little spot as his territory. The other cowers up in the corner behind the FX5 output nozzles. They all still eat fine though. I'd like to grow them out a bit and give my female the chance to choose, but we'll see. At the moment, I'm keeping this dominant male regardless.

Of course! I'd be honored :D

"Electric Blue Dovii"??, I'm jealous. I bought 6 juvie Dovii in Calgary a few weeks ago and not one of shows any color yet,let alone color like yours show Dean :drool:

On a less jealous note, I made it up to Edmonton yesterday and picked up my order of 10 parachromis loisellei "la Ceiba",these things are TINY!, I will post some pictures when they get settled in,(and get close enough to the glass).

I also picked up the "Freddies" Albertan left for me, Absolute Beauties!, you've all seen the pics. Dean posted of them,They are much nicer up close. All three are settling in nicely, Colored up lots since last night,lots of yellow :smokey:

I also "accidentally" bought Quinns female Jaguar :thumbs: (over 10 inches long?) Although the "Freddies" & "Jag" were not part of the fishfarm order,I think they're worth mention anyway.

Edited by Tigerfish

Hey Denis. The motas are tiny as well. The stocking list said 2-3" but I had some that were lucky if they were an inch when I got them. The biggest problem was getting them to eat initially. But I think I have that behind me now and they are starting to color up nicely and grow a bit. I'll post some more pictures later. We may have to arrange some sort of swap between the red tigers and the loiselli in the Summer if they start looking good.

I'm not surprised those freddies are coloring up already after the long trip. That group just seems to go with the flow. If you can, try to put them somewhere where they will be able to see your family around regularly. After keeping them in our family room for the past year, I had to move the remaining three out to the 230 in the garage and they are a little depressed with the situation. Fortunately it's a short term arrngement.

Quinn's female Jag was a very nice fish and a nice match size-wize for the freddies. I think they'll all be a good match.

Glad to hear you made it home safely with the fish. You just missed the bad weather. It's -42 with the wind chill here ATM. :tongue:

What did you get th Mota's to eat? I have crushed NLS, but they wouldn't take it,they did seem to go for frozen brine shrimp though, and at least 1 of them snacked on some convict wigglers! I think out of the 10, only 2 are over an inch long,and not by much! I think it's a great idea to share fish so any "spare" Loisellei are definitely ear marked for you. We should get our fish air miles cards,they are sure well traveled!!

Thanks again

Denis

What did you get th Mota's to eat? I have crushed NLS, but they wouldn't take it,they did seem to go for frozen brine shrimp though, and at least 1 of them snacked on some convict wigglers! I think out of the 10, only 2 are over an inch long,and not by much! I think it's a great idea to share fish so any "spare" Loisellei are definitely ear marked for you. We should get our fish air miles cards,they are sure well traveled!!

Thanks again

Denis

Brine is good but its so messy I try to stay away from it. I used frozen plankton cubes cut up and 1mm sinking NLS pellets for the motas. Now I am dropping in the odd 3mm MLS sinking pellet but only about half the fish can get them in their mouth. They say to feed as much as the fish can consume in a few minutes. But I like to have my fish with fat bellies 24/7 when I'm trying to get them to grow out. As long as it's a quality diet and the species isn't prone to bloat, I haven't had any problems getting fish to grow yet.

Well, after nearly a week in their new home,the loisellie's finally started showing off and staying still long enough to get a few pictures. I can't believe how fast these are growing! when i brought them home on Saturday, 8 of the 10 were under an inch long. Now they are all close to 1.5 inches with the larger 2 close to 2.5 inches. Unfortunately they are still very shy and don't pose well yet. This should improve as they are safely housed in a 60g in a high traffic area

post-610-1201828354_thumb.jpg post-610-1201828580_thumb.jpgpost-610-1201828631_thumb.jpg post-610-1201828676_thumb.jpgpost-610-1201828812_thumb.jpg

As always I'm looking for breeding pairs,Once sexes are determined beyond a shadow of a doubt,Dean and Quinn will have first pick of the extra's. On that note Dean,I will happily house any extra dovii you end up with