FishFarm Group Order

Albertan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parachromis motaguense "Red Tiger"

These aren't only my fish. Denis (Tigerfish) and I discussed how we might best be able to get a breeding pair or two from the eight that Ken had available. We decided that I would take all of them (even though Denis paid for his five) and dedicate one of my larger tanks to them. Initially we discussed using the 230g, but they turned out to be so small that I am glad I put them in the 150g. Once I get a pair, I am flying the other six down to Calgary at my cost for Denis to pick up...two fellow hobbyists working together...I love it! Anyways, I am excited about the future prospects of these fish. But given that some are only 1" atm, they aren't much to look at...yet.

Home sweet home. This is the tank I raised my freddies to 10" in ten months. Right behind it is a bathroom set up for water changes. :thumbs:

245241999-M.jpg

The herd waiting to be fed. Notice how they are all facing the same direction? It's so hard to feed these little guys that I have to dump in about three times more food than I want to to get their bellies full. So I have three plecos in with them and huge turnover on the tank creating quite a strong current.

245241983-M.jpg

Chillin' by one of the plants. They aren't terribly shy, but they don't sit out in the open with all that current either. Pretty bland looking fish at this stage of development.

245242026-M.jpg

One out for a cruise. I think the female BN pleco's turd is bigger than the mota. :smokey:

245241938-M.jpg

Every now and then the light catches one just right and you can start to see the earliest signs of the coloration to come.

245241968-M.jpg

Parachromis dovii

When I saw these guys on the order list at $24.99 each I had to do a double take. I got Quinn to question Ken about them and he said they were some of the nicest dovii he had ever seen at their size. These guys are little scruffs like the motas, but zowie they put my Rapp's dovii badly to shame when they were the same size. I'm pretty sure my male will be the one I have pictured below, but I learned my lesson the last time so I'll just have to wait and see. My apologies for the bubbles in the picture. I had to take the FX5 off this tank for the 230, so the AC110 is working overtime.

Well let's dispense with the formalities and get to the money shot right off the bat. Pretty impressive for a 2" fish...

245250181-M.jpg

My best Rapp's dovii at the same size.

130323050-M.jpg

I over-exposed this picture by moving the lights to the front of the tank, but it gives an idea of the ridiculously blue finnage on this fish.

245250147-M.jpg

And an underexposed picture showing the spotting continuing above the lateral line on the fish. This fish has adult markings at 2"!

245250165-M.jpg

Here you go

Crenicichla010a.jpg

Nice pike cichlids Nick. I remember seeing them at Quinn's. I am not terribly familiar with those fish so I went and looked them up on MFK when I got home. They are very cool indeed.

Any more pictures of the Escondidos Sue? They count for this thread as far as I am concerned. :thumbs:

Edited by Albertan

I'm anxiously waiting for my new camera as the old one doesn't take descent fish pics. Of the baby escondidos I ordered , I only got 1 and it soon died too. In the refill order I'll get the rest. As for your female, I can't wait to take some nice pictures. Those two are cozy but no laying of eggs yet. As soon as the camera comes in , I'll be taking pictures and posting them.