New 10 Gal Stock Suggestions

Blue Ram

I'm setting up a 10 gal for a friend's daughter for her birthday next month. I'm wanting some suggestions from members who keep smaller tanks on some interesting inhabitants for the tank that can be purchased in town. Want some ideas on livestock that is interesting to watch, relatively easy to care for and will not outgrow the tank.

If they're not experienced fish keepers, what about going with a handful of white clouds and some shrimp? Keep it understocked so they don't end up with water quality problems... OR.... just have it cycled and ready to go and let the girl choose from a few options... that way you don't end up with "But I really want this" and them adding too many.

I like NatureNut's idea, give the girl some choices and let her pick.

I'd say you can put in a small school of something (small rasboras, white clouds, danios, or darios), then add a group of shrimp 3-5. I'd say you're pretty well set after that, maybe you could add an otto as well, it'll take care of the algae and has a cuteness factor too :thumbs:

Taylor

Another option is guppies. As this is only a single tank all male guppies. They are colorful, come in multiple patterns, and are quite hardy. If they don't work the white clouds and danios can work too. Depends on if the little girl likes color and not only movement. I can't say anything about shrimp as I have never kept them so I don't know if they work with guppies or not. Hope she likes her present. :thumbs: