Dividing a 5g for bettas

Vallisneria

I have some tanks divided with clear glass I have had some bettas in them and they have tried to fight I also have betta cups and the bettas in there do try and fight every so often. If you can use smoked or black glass then there should be less stress.

well, is the divider mesh? Or a glass divider? IF mesh I wouldn't be too concerned... you know you could even plant alot of plants beside the devider or ad rocks... they might try to fight each other now and then but nothing to serious.

My betta's find time to see a reflection and start to flare etc... entertainment...

I keep my male's and female's in a 2.5 gal tank, with a glass divider...

Now my betta still tries to mate, flaring at her for days and sometimes they live beside each other, try it out different ways... see what they can tolorate and what they can't.

:thumbs:

I had 2 bettas in a divided 10 gallon, worked ok at first, but not for long. They started by flaring constantly at each other, then they both took up tailbiting.

I have read of it working though.

Try it, but be prepared rehome one. That's what I'd do.

I used to have a pair of five gallon "seamless front" tanks with an opaque divider splitting them in half. I used material from the ceiling lights, it's stupidly cheap (4' x4' square for about $8) and SO easy to cut. Fairly unbreakable and there is no way the fish can see each other, but you can.

Simple bead of silicone down the front (use clear), bottom and back and it held fairly well. I was just careful to never have the water completely empty in one side, without at least lowering it in the other... otherwise the divider would flex pretty good and stress the silicone. With it sealed it doubles the filter requirements but I just ran an airstone into each side, used a sprig of moneywort for colour, protection and a tad of filtration, and kept up the w/c's.

Hope that sparks some imagination...