So.. im setting up a 90g tank

interlude

Since there isnt anymore room in my townhouse (as per the gf :chair: ) I have set up a 90g at my parents :rolleyes: So far so good, I have sand and some rocks setup. Im also using a FX5 for filtration. Thanks to fairdeal, I am picking up his group of polits. What other tankmates would you guys suggest to put in?

I will be throwing in about half a dozen petricolas as well as bottom feeders. (maybe a dozen)

Since there isnt anymore room in my townhouse (as per the gf :chair: ) I have set up a 90g at my parents :rolleyes: So far so good, I have sand and some rocks setup. Im also using a FX5 for filtration. Thanks to fairdeal, I am picking up his group of polits. What other tankmates would you guys suggest to put in?

I will be throwing in about half a dozen petricolas as well as bottom feeders. (maybe a dozen)

no suggestions ?

try some calvus or frontosas

.... or not.

If the foundation of this tank is going to be polits & petricola, I would suggest keeping the rest of your stock to mbuna.

Lots of options, but in a 48x18 tank I would recommend going with mbuna species that won't get too large, and that hopefully won't cross breed with your polits. P. saulosi or yellow labs would make a nice color contrast with your polits, and neither species will get overly large for a tank that size.

HTH

Edited by RD.

Neil's got a good point - IME calvus won't compete very well all the time with the boisterous and always active mbuna, and front's just get too large for a 90. Ps. saulosi, yellow labs, Mel. cyaneorhabdos, would all make good tankmates with lots of colour to keep things looking good. Hopefully the female polit you're picking up are more red; I've had my females range from brown to red, with some actually looking a lot better and brighter than ever expected.