Bristlenose plecos

corrosionjerry

I am trying to find an information source on the different varieties of Bristlenose Pleco's .... so that I can determine the types that I have....

cant seen to find one of the varieties that I looks like a regular bristlenose only it has white tips on its tail fin....

Checked pleco fanatics and couple of other catfish sites.... just cant find a photo or identification of this pleco type...

I am trying to find an information source on the different varieties of Bristlenose Pleco's .... so that I can determine the types that I have....

cant seen to find one of the varieties that I looks like a regular bristlenose only it has white tips on its tail fin....

Checked pleco fanatics and couple of other catfish sites.... just cant find a photo or identification of this pleco type...

If it has white tips on it's fins, it's probably Ancistrus sp.3, the common bristlenose. A lot of the smaller BN's we get at the auctions are labelled Ancistrus dolichopterus, they all seem to have the white tips but the exemplar pictured on planetcatfish.com has a complete white band on it's tail. I'm surprised that the ACE execs are not a little more selective about labelling of catfish species considering the fanatical interest in cichlid nomenclature they have. :smokey:

The white tips/bands on all of my fish have disappeared as the fish age. I remeber when I first bought my original male breeder, about 7 years ago. It was labeled as "Bristlenose Pleco", but it had all kinds of lit spots and a white band on the tail. I asked what they were, and none of us were sure, so I thought I get some to see how they'd turn out. I bought 6 of them, and all of them turned to the typical black/dark brown BN. The last male eventually bred with a domestic female BN (again, sp name not known), and all of their kids had the spots and tail stripe. I am fairly sure that they're teminiki, tho.

The white tips/bands on all of my fish have disappeared as the fish age. I remeber when I first bought my original male breeder, about 7 years ago. It was labeled as "Bristlenose Pleco", but it had all kinds of lit spots and a white band on the tail. I asked what they were, and none of us were sure, so I thought I get some to see how they'd turn out. I bought 6 of them, and all of them turned to the typical black/dark brown BN. The last male eventually bred with a domestic female BN (again, sp name not known), and all of their kids had the spots and tail stripe. I am fairly sure that they're teminiki, tho.

The fish I have that are supposedly A.temnickii are much larger than any of my other BN types. Around 5-6" compared to the 3" common white tipped BN's. I was thinking that my temnickiis were also Ancistrus sp.3 but after comparing them to the planetcatfish exemplars, perhaps A.tamboensis?

If it has white tips on it's fins, it's probably Ancistrus sp.3, the common bristlenose. A lot of the smaller BN's we get at the auctions are labelled Ancistrus dolichopterus, they all seem to have the white tips but the exemplar pictured on planetcatfish.com has a complete white band on it's tail. I'm surprised that the ACE execs are not a little more selective about labelling of catfish species considering the fanatical interest in cichlid nomenclature they have. :smokey:

Good points boourns... however I think a lot of the Plecos are sold under the wrong L# or not listed at all when they are originally sold by LFS

So the white tipped male I have is common?... the white tips are identical on the very tips of the tail fin of these two bristlenose

I also have two other bristlenose that are of the same age aprox... look simular only their body color is more blotchy.... NO WHITE TIPS OR BANDING

So Jason the ones I got from you .... were they the white tip commons?

And the two without white tips are likely the Timmiiki ( ?) something simular to that ... cant remember now

two of mine dont have any bands Jason and two have white tips on the tailfin.... identical little triangles on each tailfin tip.... no bands

on my other two they are lighter in color ... and blotchy no bands of white what so ever....

Pleco identification can be an ordeal...

I have found that identifying young plecos is near impossible. You'll likely have to wait a year or so.

Mine are all dark - solid grey/brown. Of course, the sand is black and the back of the tank is painted black - may just be their camouflage.

Edited by jvision

Mine are all dark - solid grey/brown. Of course, the sand is black and the back of the tank is painted black - may just be their camouflage.

That is probably what it is then... my lighter blotchy looking plecos are in a well light unpainted tank.... they must of come from 3 I purchased from you...

Its still bugging me about the two with the white triagular tips on their tail fin.... I will keep on looking

• 4 weeks later...

I have those and we just labeled them as silvertipped bristlenose. My male is about 4" and still have that white tip on the top tip of the tail and the dorsal. All the babies and sub-adults from him carrys the same silvertipped.

I also know that there are regular bristlensoe without the white-tip.

Big Al around here sells regular bristlenose $6.99 and silvertipped bristlenose for $14.99