Screw-in compact flourescents?

DoctorJ

I have an old aquarium with an incandescent hood. I wanted to use those screw-in spiral compact flourescent bulbs to grow some plants in there. I've heard of people doing it, but I'm having trouble finding any bulbs that have a decent colour range. The only ones I can find are soft white bulbs that say they have a 2700K colour temperature. Not so good for plants. Has anyone found any that have worked well? If so, where did you find them? Thanks!

Actually the warm white bulbs are fine for growing plants, they are probably better than some options as they have a nice spike in the red spectrum (which is what the plants use primarily for photosynthesis).

5000-6700k screw in CF bulbs do exist, usually you'll find them at places like Home depot, rona etc. Some of the homeopathic stores carry them (of course at a premium price) to cure seasonal affective disorder etc.

Andy

I've used them in my old incandescent hoods and find they work amazing. I've never actually looked to see the spectrum or anything like that, I was more concerned with which ones would actually fit in the hood (since some are rather bulky). All the ones I've used have made my plants grow like crazy, just ask Ty.