never sold a fish before

Stu

I would soon like to put a few of my fish for sale in the livestock section but I really have no idea what they would be worth. Since I can't ask for offers in my post, where can I ask a question like this?

Try using the search function in the buy/sell forum archives and see what others have been asking for your type of fish. If the time lapse between a sale offer and a reply was very short, then that was probably a very fairly priced fish. Use your judgement, you're probably not going to be able to pay the mortgage doing this. Also consider whether you are selling your fish to make some money or because you want to find another good home for a fish you have raised!

Thanks for the reply. No luck with the search though. Is it fair to ask what I paid for them?

It depends on the fish and what has changed on them. If you bought juveniles and grew them out or established a breeding group/pair you can charge more then you paid for them. you can also look at the LFS to get an idea of the going rate for those fish.

I'd say, roughly half of what the same size and species fish sells for retail. There are exceptions though. Fish you can't find in your city at a fish store could command a higher price, and some fish may not be sellable at all if everyone has that fish or if no one likes it.