4 gallon betta tank

duh duh duh

4 gallon betta tank with plants in the baby's room (she likes fish, like her dad).

No pump, no filter, no heater, not in direct sun (temperature) but not in the shade either. Has a light that I leave on a bit for the benefit of the plants.

Is there anything I can put in there to eat the algae and stuff like that? Snails are the more obvious choice, but I hate them and would prefer not to use them.

I'm open to suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Yes having no filtration will limit the types of algae eaters you can get. Ottos would go great with bettas, but they won't do well without filtration. The only other thing would be shrimp or snails....though my male betta ate some of the smaller snails I was trying to grow for food for my puffers :( so you will want to get a snail or shrimp that will be big enough they cannot eat. And be sure to provide a little hiding place for the shrimp if you go that route, since they may need a place to retreat and love to hide.