Establishing a new filter

johnsmith

I have a new (to me) AC 500 that I'm going to put on my 33g once it has established a sufficient bacteria colony. Right now it's running on my other tank, with a Fluval 304, while an AC 200 filters my 33g.

How long to you think it will be before I can use the 500 as the sole filter on my 33g?

When I set up another tank I just take some water from another tank and a filter pad from another tank. You just dump your filter sponge into an existing tank for a few days to get the bacteria going (or a friend's if this is your first tank). I top the new tank off with fresh treated water (cloramines removed).

Just take the sponges from your AC 200 and pack them in under the new sponge from your AC 500 and you're good to go. After a couple of weeks you can discard the old 200 sponge and buy yourself a second AC 500 sponge to increase your filtration substrate.

you can discard the old 200 sponge and buy yourself a second AC 500 sponge to increase your filtration substrate.

Well, I won't need to discard the AC 200 sponges b/c I'm going to put that filter on my other tank. I also won't need to buy another AC 500 b/c I got 2 for 1 at Tanks Alot :D .

But, I will add the 200 sponges to the 500 for a few weeks.

Thanks Nyasa & arixonbarnes for you help.