Cyprichromis leptosoma "Bulu Point"

corrosionjerry

Not knowing to much about these fish .... I have been observing some behavior I am not sure that I like from one of the cyps...

Is it normal behavior for this fish to suspend its self vertically in one of the corners of my tank days at a time... all the rest are schooling and do the vertical thing occasionally but one of them is doing it day and night / head pointed down usually.. I thought perhaps I was going to lose it but this has been going on for days now... what do you think?

Not knowing to much about these fish .... I have been observing some behavior I am not sure that I like from one of the cyps...

Is it normal behavior for this fish to suspend its self vertically in one of the corners of my tank days at a time... all the rest are schooling and do the vertical thing occasionally but one of them is doing it day and night / head pointed down usually.. I thought perhaps I was going to lose it but this has been going on for days now... what do you think?

Is the fish eating, without spitting the food back out?

Is the fish eating, without spitting the food back out?

I am not sure if I have observed it eating or not.... I will watch it the next time I feed.

If you've got a cyp that's hanging out by itself in the corner, it's often a 'weaker' fish that's probably getting picked on by some of the others. Sometimes they'll do fine and last indefinitely like that, but I'd say more often than not they'll whither away and eventually die.

The angle when spawning is closer to 45 degrees down rather than vertical, so she can shoot down and catch the eggs before they hit substate. I've had some of my females after spawning hide in a corner like that, but even then it's usually they'll be out with the rest of the group most of the time.

What size tank do you have them in, and how is it arranged? What sort of filtration?

If you've got a cyp that's hanging out by itself in the corner, it's often a 'weaker' fish that's probably getting picked on by some of the others. Sometimes they'll do fine and last indefinitely like that, but I'd say more often than not they'll whither away and eventually die.

The angle when spawning is closer to 45 degrees down rather than vertical, so she can shoot down and catch the eggs before they hit substate. I've had some of my females after spawning hide in a corner like that, but even then it's usually they'll be out with the rest of the group most of the time.

What size tank do you have them in, and how is it arranged? What sort of filtration?

Thanks: their in a 75Gallon two large mounds of Mexican lace rock that goes up to mid water level and the mounds are placed at 10 and 2 O'Clock position

Jungle val on each end of the tank

XP 3 filter with a mid size aqua clear on the opposite side of the tank

Other inhabitants are some electric yellows and Taiwan reef protomelous / all peaceful fish no stress in the tank what so ever!

I have to agree with Kyle the fish is probably stressed about something. I noticed yesterday while catching some 1 inch blue flash fry that they went into the corners and hung out there with their heads down. My Paracyps sometimes hang out against the glass with their heads down when they are holding but only for short periods of time.

Personally, I wouldn't keep ANY Malawians with Cyps/Paracyps. I've just found the Cyps/Paracyps to not be nearly as boisterous as even the most peaceful Malawians, and they end up not competing for food either. You'll end up with fat/overweight Malawians in an attempt to get enough food to the Tangs.

Personally, I wouldn't keep ANY Malawians with Cyps/Paracyps. I've just found the Cyps/Paracyps to not be nearly as boisterous as even the most peaceful Malawians, and they end up not competing for food either. You'll end up with fat/overweight Malawians in an attempt to get enough food to the Tangs.

I wondered about that to be honest with you.... it is an attempt to fill out the tank with something that is a top dweller..

Maybe I should just move them into another tank..... Tang only...

do you have any suggestion on a Malawi spiecies that would fill out the top of the tank?

Thanks for the help

If you're hooked on some surface fish for a Malawian tank, I'd probably look for some giant danios or something along those lines. Hatchets may even fit the bill depending on exactly how aggressive your Malawians are (I've got both serpae's and tiger barbs in with various Malawians right now).