NITRATE! HELP!

collector

Hey all, I made a mistake with a tank. I know what I did now but it's too late... I have a spike in nitrate major losses. I went to my breeders and got 10 gallons of good water, and some of his filter inserts squeezed in there as well. So I did a 50 percent water change adding his water, and some new water. 3 of the fish survived and I think they will make it, is there more I can do? The tank was cycled... Like an idiot I did a 90 percent water change and washed out the filter inserts before adding new fish, I know STUPID! me! I added cycle as well, is there more I can do? please some advice... Sorry it's a 44 gallon, had 10 1" fish, lost 7 in 6 hours. Been 36 hours now seems to be getting better. Should I do 50% a day? Let me know. TY. S.

hate to break it to ya but nitrates dont kill fish.

Its either ammonia or nitrate spike thats killed your fish.

just keep doing 25% w/c every other day until the water goes back to normal.

Do you mean nitrites? I may have got them confused but yah... You posted nitrates don't kill fish only a nitrate spike. Is that not the same? Ty for the advice though... S.

Dosing Prime right in your tank can help as well. If it's a natrAte spike, then a few big Water Changes (just water, don't touch the filter) will help as well. If it's a NitrIte spike, you'll have to wait for the tank to mini-cycle. Keep good circulation and try a 25-50% WC every other day, just to keep the fish happy

Thanks all for the great help, it is way better already. I bought a few more 5 gal pails , and the breeder gave me 20 gallons of his water. That and a couple of 30 percent water changes, levels are just above normal. I'll wait another day, then do another 30 per water change. Lesson learned! TY, again... S.

I think we've all caused ourselves a mini cycle at one point or another. The nitrite spike is usually the first thing to happen and it happens fast. You can also add an air stone to help the water stay oxygenated.