Incandescent Lights (screw in type)

Doo

Hi All

I would like to introduce myself, although I have already hopped into a couple of chats here and there. I have been at FW for many years (Africans, mostly Tangan…) and I have now decided to try SW!!!

I have been reading tons of our forum and other sites and you guys are all great – I am very glad I joined and look forward to learning from you all.

I have large tanks that I can go hard on, but I have decided to start with a little 10g just to get the feel and I see many members here are successful with them…

I managed to pick up a 10g kit and was given enough water from an established tank to fill it up. I also picked up from the same person some LR, LS, a container full of noodles (bio media) that are all live & a hand full of stringy plants that he said would be good to get going…

I think the start part is good to go – I bought a ¾” fish that my wife insisted on “FINDING…” (I will not even make you guess) – I am not sure how well the fish will do, but time will tell…

THE LIGHTING DILEMMA!!!

This 10g kit I bought either comes with a florescent fixture tube or a 2 bulb fixture ($10 diff). I bought the one with the 2 bulb setup because I was told I can use 2 incandescent lights, which would give me better lighting than the 1 florescent…

I would like to add some coral once I am confident that all is running well…

Today I went and I talked to another knowledgeable source and he said NO WAY, neither will work and I should just stick with fish for now under the florescent tube until I get a bigger tank and can justify spending the $$ on good lighting.

So – if I buy the florescent kit it’s 10 more (NO big deal!!)

If I buy the regular light canopy and purchase 2 incandescent lights – that will be about $50.00 and I am totally ok with that unless it will not keep coral alive and in which case there is no point, I might as well put that towards real lights…

Can anyone please help me on which way I should go!!!

Thank you!!!!

I've never done SW so I don't know what corals need, but with the incandescent hood, you can use compact fluorescent bulbs instead of the incandescent ones, and get a fair amount of light in there. I have a heavily planted FW 10g with two 15W CF bulbs, and it's doing great. I'm pretty sure there are more powerful CF bulbs available as well.

Thank you for the reply - that is what was recommended and it makes sense, but again - I am soooo new to SW - that I thought I would ask the SW experts :)

Thank you!

I've never done SW so I don't know what corals need, but with the incandescent hood, you can use compact fluorescent bulbs instead of the incandescent ones, and get a fair amount of light in there. I have a heavily planted FW 10g with two 15W CF bulbs, and it's doing great. I'm pretty sure there are more powerful CF bulbs available as well.

Thank you for the reply - that is what was recommended and it makes sense, but again - I am soooo new to SW - that I thought I would ask the SW experts :)

Thank you!

Big Al's has a 10 gal. set up with two 20 watt 50/50 CF bulbs which has a couple clown fish and soft coral in it, which seem to be be doing well

Yeah, you can get 2 small screw-in PC bulbs that have 10,000K and actinic - I think they're around 13W ea. Or, you can get a small T5 actinic fixture, and put in 2 23W flourescent bulbs into the current fixture. If you're a little handy, I've even seen 40@ screw-in bulbs - they're too big to fit under the hood of a typical 10gal tank, but you could build a canopy that'd house them... then you could grow ANYTHING!!!

Hi

Thank you all for your help :)

I will give the suggestions a try and I am sure it should work :)

Yeah, you can get 2 small screw-in PC bulbs that have 10,000K and actinic - I think they're around 13W ea. Or, you can get a small T5 actinic fixture, and put in 2 23W flourescent bulbs into the current fixture. If you're a little handy, I've even seen 40@ screw-in bulbs - they're too big to fit under the hood of a typical 10gal tank, but you could build a canopy that'd house them... then you could grow ANYTHING!!!

If I was to upgrade my fixture - what do you all recommend? (Type/ Brand)

Where should I go for a good price on a unit that will work for my little 10g - 20" should work...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Hi

Thank you all for your help :)

I will give the suggestions a try and I am sure it should work :)

For the price, Aquagiant seems to be the place to go. Most of their products are not CSA approved, but if that doesn't bother you, it might be a good place to go