Blue Dolphin (C.Morii) question

farleyfish

I have 2 adult dolphins and I was wonding how to sex them. I know they are not a dimorphic sp. but would the male be bigger or darker, etc? I have seen them lock mouths the odd time...they mostly get along. Also, would it be a good idea to introduce juv. into the tank? I'd like a few more. Would the older 2 be aggressive towards the juvies?

I have 2 adult dolphins and I was wonding how to sex them. I know they are not a dimorphic sp. but would the male be bigger or darker, etc? I have seen them lock mouths the odd time...they mostly get along. Also, would it be a good idea to introduce juv. into the tank? I'd like a few more. Would the older 2 be aggressive towards the juvies?

I have problems sexing them too. Even my breeding group - there is one I am not sure of. My males rarely show splotches on the side - my females often do. My males seem to have longer dorsal and anal fins going back into the tail area.

The fry I am selling are just under an inch - I wouldn't put them with adults until they are at least an inch and a half - I guess it depends on the chance you want to take.

Edited by punman

Been watching mine real close and I agree that the females have the dark splotches on there sides. I have one that looks like she is holding and she has the dark sploches on her sides.

As this is my frist time with Dolphins, I still am learning here.

When you have a female holding , do you remove her from the tank or strip her of her fry. Or just leave her in the tank with the rest.??

What works for you ? What do you do.??

Frank

• 1 month later...

i have two seperate breeding groups in my 110 gallon and ive noticed that the males are alot bigger and also have more of abump on the forehead area.ive been told that only males get the big hump on the head much like frontozas but have yet to prove this. as for sex them thats what i go by,as for pulling babies i have done bolth,pulling the mother after 12 to 15 days after visible holding and isolated her in a breeder holding capsel that lets the fry drop to the bottom of the capsel and then moved her back into the tank and put the fry into their own raising tank. and also let her drop fry in tank and then pulled them after 2 months but very difficult, ive tried putting her in her own tank and let her realease when ready but it takes a while.all thes methods have worked good for me and maybe will wok good for you as well GOOD LUCK...