How Long do I wait

Cichlid88

Hi all,

I set up my first 25 gal reef on Friday and got the live rock from Albert and Dennis on Saturday. The tank is cycling and I put in some Nitrobacteria and Oxygen suppliments, the water is so clear I can't belive it but I'm wondering how long I should wait before adding some small fish. I only intend to add 3-4 small damsels, anenome fish, shrimp etc. My skimmer is not producing anything yet and I have no algae after leaving the lights on for 10-12 hours per day. I have one 20000k actinic T-5 and 2- 6400K T-5 lights, Crushed carribian coral as the substrate and about 10-11 pounds of live rock and another 5-8 pounds of Hawai lava rock in place. The live rock is teaming with life worms, mushrooms, feather dusters, 1 small brown crab... but wonder do I need to add anthing else or once I get fish will the inverts feed of the waste ans small particals from them.

Just some observations and general questions... anyone who as done this before might think I'm in over my head but I am so busy with work right no I don't have time to do any more research on the web. I have the set up right I think but need some genreal info.

Thanks,

Bernie

Hi Bernie

Your best bet would be to pick up some ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte test kits (anything but red sea) and you can monitor when the cycle is complete. Otherwise id say 6 weeks from when you put everything together. I dont know how long that rock has been at golds but from your skimmer not producing, id guess its either cycled or the skimmer needs adjustment. Test kits again :)

Its also too soon for any appreciable algea growth. Only thing you need are some snails and hermits beyond what you have now before some fish go in.

BTW, 3-4 of ANY kind of damsel in that size of a tank will make it a damsel only tank. They are mean, evil little bastiches. They need space to set up territories, and in a tank that size there will be constant fighting and most likely a couple deaths in the months to come. You also wont be able to make any fish additions once the damsels are in there. However i honestly dont know how they'd react to cleaner shrimp.

Goodluck

Oh btw, how much water movement? what kinda skimmer? and i saw mushrooms, how many and what kind :)

Edited by BlkWolfe

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply, I found some more time to research things further and found out a bunch of info on the things that I was asking about.

I have a Skilter filter/skimmer on the tank with one AC 402 power head and on AC Mini powerhead providing circulation. All parameters are fine, I modified my skimmer to a direct air injection from a noisy unreliable venturi and it is producing great skimmate. I've been adding 1tbsp of sodium bicarbonate per week to help keep PH in the 8.2-8.3 range and doing water changes of about 25% every 3-4 weeks.

I have since added more live rock, one green pink eyed anenome ( I think thats what Albert called it) and have one Clarks Anenome fish and 2 blue Chromis and one brittle star. The mushrooms are pink with green spots and are getting bigger by the week. . Feeding my anenome fresh scallops twice per week and everyone else flake and pellets. Algae is certainly under control with no large blooms except for a couple of large masses of green bubble algae which I actually like the looks of.

The tank is only 25 gallon so I likely can't add anything else without causing trouble but would like to move things to a larger tank at some point.

I have taken pictures of my Clarks anenome fish cuddling with his new best friend the anenome and will post some pics of the tank and its features in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your interest, I will update you when the photos go up.

Bernie

:beer:

Yes it was you for sure you said it came from your own collection and I paid you for it directly but I can't remember what you called it. It is kind of pink with a green cast and has sort of pink tips. I bought some extra live rock and a brittle star as well. I was in two Saturdays ago, remember Big guy lots of questions.....

All my Best,

Bernie

:beer:

• 3 weeks later...

I found out a long time ago that waiting for a long time is the only safe way to start a reef tank. By that I mean six months before adding any livestock. I have also found that people will not listen, and suffer the consequences. The additives on the market to speed the cycle are just crap. The addition of an anemone to a young tank like that is usually a recipe for disaster. Most people would say to wait at least a year before attempting to add an anemone.

I have gone through it all, and lost a lot of expensive fish before I learned my lesson. :bang1:

Meh, I've done it in three days, I don't recommend it, but six months is a bit redundant.

Additionally, I tossed 4 RBTA's into my two month old tank and now I have 8 (not including the ones I have sold).

I agree that there is a lot of patience involved with the reef keeping hobby, but a lot of it is also observation. There's no rule set in stone that says you cannot keep livestock until exactly x(time) has elapsed. That's ridiculous. Observation, observation, observation. It helps to have a guide too.

I agree that there is a lot of patience involved with the reef keeping hobby, but a lot of it is also observation. There's no rule set in stone that says you cannot keep livestock until exactly x(time) has elapsed. That's ridiculous.

To say something is ridiculous is somewhat insulting to the person giving advice. A person who gives advice after many years of experience should not be called down as being ridiculous.

That said, when advising a Newby it is better to be somewhat cautious. That way the newby might save himself the heartache of losing everything, and subsequently getting out of the hobby.

What you have done and have been successful with just may not work for someone else. That is why I say wait for a while.

Six months is an arbitrary number, but not a bad guideline.

:guns: